Logo

Low RPMs on Mercury Mariner 60 ELPTO BigFoot (1996)

jaxspellinar

New member
I just got a 25' pontoon with the above engine in it. Currently the oil pump is plugged off and it runs 50:1 mix. It seemingly runs good, but the issue I'm having is that at full throttle, I'm only getting about 3500RPM out of it. The Engine ID sticker says max RPM is 5000. I don't expect to have it run top end, but I'm wondering if that would be normal for full throttle, or if something's wrong.

Thanks!
 
Check prop pitch, look on the propeller hub for number between the blades! You can turn a motor 5500 rpm pushing a barge with the correct propeller. They make props for your bigfoot to push slow heavy loads.
 
The prop is in pretty rough shape. There isn't anything stamped in or on it except the capital letter "R". I tried to attach a couple pictures, but it keeps giving me an error
 
I tried to cut and paste the actual propeller but it went to the calculater, The prop is a 14" dia X 11" pitch, 3 blade that fits your 4 1/4" bigfoot gearcase.
 
Most props have diameter and pitch stamped on them somewhere.
That's what I thought, but I looked all over and in it, but only found the R for the rotation. Unless it was worn off with use. I ordered a replacement 14/11R Prop and hub kit per fitz73222's recommendation. Should have it by this weekend and can find out if I get better performance.
 
Back
Top