Logo

Johnson 200hp spark problem

Travis Herrman

I have a 1991 Johnson 200hp J200STLEID. I have just bought this boat and do not know a lot about it yet. I went to start it for the first time and it would not fire. So I checked the spark with a spark checker, NO spark. But if I pull out the handle on the control box into warm up mode and go to half throttle the spark comes back and it will fire up every time, then work like normal boat. But you have to do this to start it every time. Is there a switch or something in the box that makes it do this? AND if there is , How do I disable it? Or am I way off base here and need to look at something else?
Thank you,
Travis

What I found out was that the person that put the new trigger in had the timing so backed off that at half throttle it would advance far enough it would finally fire. I could advance it by hand and get it to spark one 1 cylinder and then 3 cylinders as I went more. Then I noticed a 1/2 inch gap between the throttle roller and card linkage. So I took up that gap, advanced the timing and she now starts right up with handle in neutral.
But I still have questions on this low compression kit. How do I know if there is one on this motor or I just got a worn out motor?

That's low but how's it run ? You might improve that compression buy trying some OMC Engine Tuner and follow the directions on the can.

Last edited:
Travis... A bit of info that nay or may not pertain to your problem..............

The engine must crank over with the electric starter approximately 300 rpms in order for the electronic ignition to function properly (To Spark). Also, should you have a slow cranking engine due to a low battery, a faulty electric starter, a poor connection somewhere in that circuit, then obviously that would account for the low compression reading.

Back