Logo

Johnson 1998 50hp lower unit shimming

boat_guy

I have Johnson 1998 50hp J50PLEEA. When bought it seller told me about damaged lower unit.

Took it apart and removed broken gears. Ordered new gears.

Once got new gears put propeller shaft (all parts in diagram below) together and installed temporarily. Tighten the bolts #29 and tried to pull propeller shaft(#20) out and in. There was a wiggle room (~1mm).

Should I open it up and add 0.5mm shim between #25 and #13? Or is expected to have 0.5mm to 1mm spacing?

lower unit 001.jpg

Adding a shim as you suggest would be a big mistake !!!-----These lower units are not robust !----Agreed the shimming is done for the pinion gear.-----Did you replace any bearings ?-----Best run to a shop that has the tools.-----Cheaper than having it fail again!

I left propeller shaft as is, with existing parts. I added two 0.003in shims to the driveshaft #36. Put it all together. Attached to motor. Right now I am making final adjustments in water barrel. Thank you for your help.

lower unit 002.jpg
P.S. I left original bearings. They appears to be in good condition (no rust on rollers and driveshaft is not wobbly).

Back