Logo

Is Honda Marine Grease Compatible with Lithium Based Marine Lube?

The shop manual for my BF250D says to use water resistant urea based grease for most of the lubrication points and zerk fittings. Does this mean that Honda Marine grease is a polyurea based lubricant? This type of grease in not compatible with other lithium based marine lubes. When you mix them together, the soap component of the lithium based lubricant falls out of solution and a hard abrasive deposits are formed.

The reason I'm asking I just did a 200 hr service on my motor and found 2 of the zerks where blocked. I had the 20 and 100 hr services done at my marina and they seemed to have used a blue grease rather than the tan colored Honda lube that was put in at the factory. So I'm concerned that I have a problem that might require cleaning out all of the old grease before replacing it with the Honda lube.

Has anyone had problems using lithium based greases on Honda engines?
 
Hi, doc

I found this grease compatibility chart:

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/1865/grease-compatibility

Apparently, according to the chart, compatibility mostly relies on the structure of the urea grease. If it's a "conventional" formula then it looks as if it's compatible with almost nothing else including lithium.

If the urea is a "shear stable" formula then it looks to be compatible with most other grease including lithium.

Haven't had any luck finding info on the Honda version of their polyurea grease.

I would say your concerns are valid and you make a very good point about mixing grease that isn't compatible.

I think most of us, including MOST marinas, have committed the sin but I had no idea how destructive this goof-up could be! Thank you for pointing this out.
 
Well, I got no love from Honda Support. The response to my email was likely from an AI:

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for contacting American Honda Power Equipment Customer Relations. For further assistance with addressing your concerns, Honda recommends contacting an authorized Honda Marine service dealer. You may locate service dealerships in your area using the dealer locator. Be sure to check the “Service” box when you are searching for dealerships so only authorized service dealerships (Honda Premier Service) are displayed as results.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Sincerely,
[/FONT]


[FONT=&quot]American Honda Motor Co., Inc.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Power Equipment Customer Relations[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Case # 12952378

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So I called their number and was told that they do not have a technical department so that I needed to continue to work with my dealer. The dealer already told me that they have no idea about whether the grease is compatible with the Yamaha grease they use for all their service.

So this may or may not be a problem. The applications are not really pressure sensitive except for the prop splines. And replacing the factory grease with lithium grease should not be a problem as long as most of the old grease gets flushed out. But if the tech only gives each zerk a shot or two of lithium grease you could wind up with hardening of the mixed lubes and binding of the steering or tilt mechanisms.
[/FONT]
 
Well, I've known a long time that an "authorized dealer" can be no more than someone that buys their outboards and maintains an account with them to buy a given amount of parts and tools per year from them. I worked for THAT guy. He didn't have a "service center" and didn't even sell outboards!

My web search trying to find an answer took me mostly to "I love my Honda" type tech discussion boards about the different model cars.. It's interesting because many of those have people that say they work at Honda car dealers and I don't doubt that they do. But the answers about the Honda brown grease were typically "oh, we buy something from the local grease gettin' place". "It's green"...or blue...or white. One guy said "pee on it". So, no help there either.

But at least I've been warned. Don't mix urea with lithium!

Thank you for that.
 
I know this is an older post but its what came up when i was searching for info on hondas marine grease so i figured other people looking might end up here too. I couldnt find a straight answer anywhere so i emailed honda and this was there response:

Thank you for contacting American Honda Power Equipment Customer Relations. We understand you are looking for the type of thickener for our marine grease uses. Honda Marine grease uses Lithium Soap Thickener.

Sincerely,
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Power Equipment Customer Relations
 
The upshot of this old thread is that Honda DOES specify urea based grease for it's outboards but, apparently, ONLY for pivot points like tilt tubes and pivots.

AND...

....MIXING lithium base grease with urea based grease AT THOSE POINTS previously lubed with urea base can result in the grease hardening and causing damage to THOSE components.

SO....
...IF....
you prefer to use lithium based grease AT THOSE POINTS, you should first disassemble and REMOVE the urea based grease previously applied AT THE FACTORY in order to avoid problems.

The message should be clear but I don't think it's emphasized enough by the manufacturers.

Don't MIX the two kinds of grease together.
 
I would assume that my 2007 225 (that hasn't been near a Honda service centre in many years) will no longer have any of the original grease left - so I'm ok with lithium!
 
The shop manual for my BF250D says to use water resistant urea based grease for most of the lubrication points and zerk fittings. Does this mean that Honda Marine grease is a polyurea based lubricant? This type of grease in not compatible with other lithium based marine lubes. When you mix them together, the soap component of the lithium based lubricant falls out of solution and a hard abrasive deposits are formed.

The reason I'm asking I just did a 200 hr service on my motor and found 2 of the zerks where blocked. I had the 20 and 100 hr services done at my marina and they seemed to have used a blue grease rather than the tan colored Honda lube that was put in at the factory. So I'm concerned that I have a problem that might require cleaning out all of the old grease before replacing it with the Honda lube.

Has anyone had problems using lithium based greases on Honda engines? It’s always a bit of a gamble when looking for reliable service centers, especially when it comes to something as important as boat repairs or maintenance. One thing I’ve learned is that the right products can make a huge difference in the longevity and performance of your gear, like when using the right grease for your boat motor. It’s crucial to use compatible products, as mixing different types, like lithium-based and others, can cause issues over time. If you're ever in need of repairs or looking for a trusted service center, I'd recommend checking out fantomworks. They have a solid reputation for quality work and customer satisfaction, so it’s definitely worth considering for your next service.
Honda Marine grease is generally a calcium sulfonate grease, while many lithium-based greases are... well, lithium-based. It's recommended to stick with the same type of grease for your boat’s motor to avoid potential issues like reduced performance or damage to seals.
 
I use a blue synthetic marine grease in my zerks, no issues in 20+ years of boating, 9 years with my 1999 Honda 130. I do sometimes have issues with the tilt tube- Honda’s got no way to grease the inside of the tilt tube the steering shaft passes through.
 
Back
Top