Logo

Installing distributor...help?

film842

Contributing Member
I'm installing my now rebuilt distributor back into my AQ131A. I have lined up the camshaft pulley at 12:00 in relation to the valve cover and the crankshaft mark is at 0 degrees plus the rotor is pointing at the number one cylinder. I've verified that the #1 cylinder is at TDC.

She wants to start, but no amount of inching the distributor back and forth works. I've checked fuel, spark and so forth. This engine ran ok before, although at a base timing of 15 degrees instead of the 6 degrees it should be, hence rebuilding the distributor.

My question has to do with the accessory pully whose marks I cannot see without removing a bunch of parts. Is it possible that it could be somehow out of phase which would make my positioning of the distributor incorrect?

In true reality, the only TWO things that must be indexed correctly are the camshaft and crankshaft.

Do Not misunderstand me..... all three being correctly indexed is the correct way to do this! It may even have an effect on the amount of adjustment to the distributor housing for timing.

But if the crankshaft and camshaft are indexed, and when the distributor is indexed for #1 cylinder to fire, then it should be capable of starting.

NOTE: While cranking, a timing light will still strobe. So do not hesitate to do this so you can see how close or far off you are.
BASE is BASE is BASE.... all day long.
It should strobe and show you what BASE you have while cranking.... (as long as you have spark)!
Adjust accordingly!

How I would do this is make sure the #1 cylinder is at TDC, ie ready to fire. Then install the distrubutor so that #1 is about to fire. Remember the crank shaft can still be at 12 o'clock and be 180 degrees out of phase. That is why you must get #1 at the top of the compression stroke.

Good luck

Rob

Remember the crank shaft can still be at 12 o'clock and be 180 degrees out of phase. That is why you must get #1 at the top of the compression stroke.
Rob, on most gear or chain driven camshaft engines, (where we have no visible camshaft indexing marks) this would be true.
However, on this OHC engine......, when the camshaft "notch" is where it's suppose to be, the valve timing is correct for # 1 firing @ X* BTDC Comp Stroke!

As the crankshaft "notch" aligns, the crank will be @ TDC no mater how many times you'd bring it around.
IOW's, it is the camshaft that determines whether we are on the compression stroke........ or top of the exhaust stroke.

Point being, if the belt is indexed correctly, we only need to concern ourselves with the Camshaft "Notch".

One simple/easy method is to set the crank @ X* BTDC (what ever your BASE advance is).
Place a spark plug and wire directly into the coil.
Do this ONLY if you feel safe creating a small open spark within your engine bay!
Turn on Ignition key!
Rotate distributor housing AGAINST normal rotation direction until you get a spark! (the hold down bolt should create some resistance)
Re-install plug wire!
If your spark plug wires are installed correctly, the engine should fire well enough to set BASE Dynamically!
Now all you have left to check is your TA.

Last edited:
However, on this OHC engine......, when the camshaft "notch" is where it's suppose to be, the valve timing is correct for # 1 firing @ X* BTDC Comp Stroke!

As the crankshaft "notch" aligns, the crank will be @ TDC no mater how many times you'd bring it around.
IOW's, it is the camshaft that determines whether we are on the compression stroke........ or top of the exhaust stroke.

Point being, if the belt is indexed correctly, we only need to concern ourselves with the Camshaft "Notch".

I agree except that when the heat exchanger is installed it can make it difficult to see where the mark is on the cam gear. Therefore rather than remove the heat exchanger you can index the distributor by making sure #1 is a TDC.

Have a great day

Rob.

Back