Logo

How to confirm that rectifier has gone bad

Hankypanky

Hi

First time posting. Summer is on its way here in Sweden and it would be nice to have the boat in the water. BUT, I got an 2001 Mercury 90hp outboarder (1-1090412YB) that has the infamous burnt/melted yellow cables.

I would like to measure the rectifier to be sure that this is the component that needs to be replaced.

I got the multimeter and rectifier as in picture, how to proceed?

Best regards
Henrik

Attachments

• IMG_0518.jpeg
    IMG_0518.jpeg
    687.1 KB · Views: 12
My 2002 90 and 115 2 stroke Mercs uses the Red colored 16 amp (max) Stator with yellow leads which are not connected to ground. They are from an AC generating set of coils under the flywheel...the Stator.

Burnt connector interfaces can relate to corrosion at the terminals whereby a resistance is developed and R x I (squared....expnent 2) = heat (Watts dissipated). The Merc terminals are plastic encapulated to aid in preventing moisture entrance to reduce this problem.

The output of these two yellow wires go to the Regulator/Rectifier module. First is a "Wheatstone Bridge type 4 diode rectifier producing DC pulses. These pulses are filtered and applied to a voltage/current regulator circuit in that assembly. The regulator is designed to control how the power is applied to the battery as a result of the batteries condition at the time......Lots of current if the monitored battery voltage is low, and minimizing the current flow as the battery voltage comes up to spec. Additiionally the regulator output current varies as a function of the engine's RPM due to the induced voltage from the stator's rising higher as RPMs Increase (V = L di/dt) where Voltage depends on the inductance of the Stator coils and how fast the AC sine wave rises in frequency (decreasing dt and allowing V to rise).

For the 16 amp Red Stator, the manual shows 5 amps at idle (650 RPM +/_50) to 18 Amps at 5,000 RPM.....with these values maximums with minimum energy stored in the battery....as the battery is filling with energy, the amperage will decrease regardless of the RPM stated max current. For these "functional test readings" the manual specifies a special test circuit wiring scheme, not having the regulator in the normal working hookup.

The max regulated voltage, for a functioning regulator will not exceed 14.5V under any condition. If it moves up to 16V or so the regulator isn't functioning.
----------------
Testing the Stator is done with the yellow leads disconnected and with your Ohm Meter measuring 0.16 to 0.19 Ohms. If using a digital meter, touch your leads together and get an Ohm reading....like mine run around 0.4 to 0.9 ohms. Then make your measurement and subtract your lead resistance from the reading to get the true resistance of the Stator. As stated before there should be no continuity between either yellow lead and battery negative...ground....engine block.

The black lead is ground, the red wires are power leads, one to operate the module and the other to send output current to the power terminal......the input 3/8" stud with the red wires on the starting solenoid.....this is just a power distribution point what will also power the starter when that solenoid is closed and power goes through it to the starter.

Both red wires are tied to this terminal on the solenoid....which is also where the battery red lead is also attached.

Rectifier testing:

With the unit as shown in your picture, on the "diode" function of your meter or 1k Ohm scale , put one lead on the black wire and the other on a yellow wire the swap connections to the meter. You should get deflection in one direction only (make a measurement then swap terminals to check the resistance in the opposite direction as you are measuring a diode to ground). Shorted input diodes will show deflection in both directions. Repeat the testing with the other yellow lead to the black wire. If the results are as stated your rectifier circuit is usually good.

Testing of the regulator section is basically measuring the voltage of the battery at the solenoid terminal mentioned above on the solenoid, and engine block. Make and record the voltage with the engine off. Start the engine and re-read the voltage. It will start lower than it was because of the energy removed from the battery to start the engine but keep your leads on the terminals as the engine runs. The voltage should start increasing, the rate will be determined by the energy in the battery at the time and the engine RPMs. (if you are on the trailer, don't forget to hook up your water hose.......) Running the engine for some time, depending on the above conditions, the voltage should rise to 14.5V on a nice spring day and not go above. If that works, your problem must have been terminal corrosion at the yellow lead outputs. Good luck!

My 2002 90 and 115 2 stroke Mercs uses the Red colored 16 amp (max) Stator with yellow leads which are not connected to ground. They are from an AC generating set of coils under the flywheel...the Stator.

Burnt connector interfaces can relate to corrosion at the terminals whereby a resistance is developed and R x I (squared....expnent 2) = heat (Watts dissipated). The Merc terminals are plastic encapulated to aid in preventing moisture entrance to reduce this problem.

The output of these two yellow wires go to the Regulator/Rectifier module. First is a "Wheatstone Bridge type 4 diode rectifier producing DC pulses. These pulses are filtered and applied to a voltage/current regulator circuit in that assembly. The regulator is designed to control how the power is applied to the battery as a result of the batteries condition at the time......Lots of current if the monitored battery voltage is low, and minimizing the current flow as the battery voltage comes up to spec. Additiionally the regulator output current varies as a function of the engine's RPM due to the induced voltage from the stator's rising higher as RPMs Increase (V = L di/dt) where Voltage depends on the inductance of the Stator coils and how fast the AC sine wave rises in frequency (decreasing dt and allowing V to rise).

For the 16 amp Red Stator, the manual shows 5 amps at idle (650 RPM +/_50) to 18 Amps at 5,000 RPM.....with these values maximums with minimum energy stored in the battery....as the battery is filling with energy, the amperage will decrease regardless of the RPM stated max current. For these "functional test readings" the manual specifies a special test circuit wiring scheme, not having the regulator in the normal working hookup.

The max regulated voltage, for a functioning regulator will not exceed 14.5V under any condition. If it moves up to 16V or so the regulator isn't functioning.
----------------
Testing the Stator is done with the yellow leads disconnected and with your Ohm Meter measuring 0.16 to 0.19 Ohms. If using a digital meter, touch your leads together and get an Ohm reading....like mine run around 0.4 to 0.9 ohms. Then make your measurement and subtract your lead resistance from the reading to get the true resistance of the Stator. As stated before there should be no continuity between either yellow lead and battery negative...ground....engine block.

The black lead is ground, the red wires are power leads, one to operate the module and the other to send output current to the power terminal......the input 3/8" stud with the red wires on the starting solenoid.....this is just a power distribution point what will also power the starter when that solenoid is closed and power goes through it to the starter.

Both red wires are tied to this terminal on the solenoid....which is also where the battery red lead is also attached.

Rectifier testing:

With the unit as shown in your picture, on the "diode" function of your meter or 1k Ohm scale , put one lead on the black wire and the other on a yellow wire the swap connections to the meter. You should get deflection in one direction only (make a measurement then swap terminals to check the resistance in the opposite direction as you are measuring a diode to ground). Shorted input diodes will show deflection in both directions. Repeat the testing with the other yellow lead to the black wire. If the results are as stated your rectifier circuit is usually good.

Testing of the regulator section is basically measuring the voltage of the battery at the solenoid terminal mentioned above on the solenoid, and engine block. Make and record the voltage with the engine off. Start the engine and re-read the voltage. It will start lower than it was because of the energy removed from the battery to start the engine but keep your leads on the terminals as the engine runs. The voltage should start increasing, the rate will be determined by the energy in the battery at the time and the engine RPMs. (if you are on the trailer, don't forget to hook up your water hose.......) Running the engine for some time, depending on the above conditions, the voltage should rise to 14.5V on a nice spring day and not go above. If that works, your problem must have been terminal corrosion at the yellow lead outputs. Good luck!
Thank you sooo much for your answer! I will take my time to read thru and try to follow your instruction.

I will most likely come back here and ask some follow up questions. ☺️

Rectifier testing: I get some readings when on ”diod”-setting. See picture. If I switch direction - no reading = deflected?

IMG_0526.jpeg

If I use Ohm setting instead, readings are the same on both yellow to black.

IMG_0527.jpeg

Does this give a hint of the status of the rectifier?

Yellow to yellow is across the Stator transformers which generate the AC power for your rectifier.....as stated, with the yellow leads disconnected from the wiring harness, reading across the ones from the Stator is where you get the low Ohm reading I posted. If zero Ohms the Stator is shorted and useless......if no reading it is open circuited and useless.

Since they feed a full wave bridge rectifier, in the rectifier/regulator block, they are not connected to ground other than inside/through the rectifier.....each yellow lead has a positive output to the regulator for positive voltages that power the battery and a negative output through a diode to ground to complete the circuit so that current can flow into the regulator and charge the battery. If one. or both of the two diodes (one diode to ground is connected in the rectifier to each yellow lead and the other side of it is connected to the engine block is shorted, it will also short out the positive output and render the output of the rectifier unusable.

1K is a good scale for diode checking. On that scale the good diode will show low Ohms in the forward direction and no deflection in the reverse direction (when you reverse your meter leads on the same diode terminals). If you get deflection (low Ohm reading, doesn't have to be exactly the same resistance) in both directions across the same contacts, the diode is shorted and renders the rectifier assembly useless.

Understand that or need more?

I just blew up your Ohm reading pictures. Basically front to back on a good diode, scale selected has an effect, you need a 10:1 ratio between the two readings. Your 9.8 Vs 1900 Ohm reading if across the same diode, just switching leads to the opposite diode terminals, is a good diode.

As I stated you cannot bench test this rec/reg and most of that info is Tex posted does not apply. You test it with a amp meter a 9v battery. Here is testing from factory manual..

1716347014762.png

1716347070305.png

As I stated you cannot bench test this rec/reg and most of that info is Tex posted does not apply. You test it with a amp meter a 9v battery. Here is testing from factory manual..

View attachment 32598
View attachment 32600
You must have a different manual than I do. One difference is that the 18 Ampere reading is spec'd at 5K RPM on Page 2B-8. Value is spec'd at 17.0 Amperes at 3K RPM. Mine is part number 90-8MO110566 Issue date November 2015, covering 75/75 Marathon, 75 Sea Pro, 90/100/115/125-65/80 Jet. Manual starts with model year 1994 and Newer, Serial Number OD283222 and above (USA) and 09793577 and above (Belgium).

What's not in there Is the Ohm meter testing for a shorted to ground input rectifier diode and the comments about watching the voltage rising once engine is running......which is what I would do if I were trouble shooting one of my rectifier/regulator modules. The other spec numbers come out of that manual. I wouldn't just arbitrarily swap parts right off until I figured I couldn't fix what I have that I think failed.

Hey guys, I really appreciate all your input. Thank you!

I’ve checked the stator (yellow to yellow) and there is a low Ohm reading there, so I hope that is ok.

I’ve reconnected the reg/rect to the motor and plan to verify its function with the 9V-battery test. One thing, which one of the cables is the ”sense lead” one?

//Henrik

Ok, I have done some testing.

Reconnected everything and engine fired up like instantly, after winter conservation. 👍🏻

Rpm indicator is now working (which it didn’t after cables burned) BUT I get no charge when checking battery voltage at start battery with engine running.

Battery needs to be replaced according to ”Alternator system test”, but can there be something else thats causing the no charge issue?

//Henrik

Well as long as your cables are all connected and in proper hygiene between the rect/reg. and the battery then it looks like time for a new unit. Possibly something shorted out in the unit that caused the burnt wires in the first place. I mentioned corrosion at connections as I have seen wires burnt as a result and never personally encountered a bad rect/regl..

Course if the rect/reg is internally shorted and sucking too much current out of the Stator, assuming it could supply it and didn't overheat and burn the insulation off the internal wires and short out, that could burn the insulation on the yellow wires also, which seems to be your case. When/if you decide to check the Stator output voltage and its lower than 16v as mentioned below, then you Smoked the Stator too. However, your Ohm reading being good pretty mitigates a damaged Stator......but, it only takes one turn to cause a coil/transformer to fail as all the power the component can generate is consumed internally, trying to bring up the "volts per turn" on that shorted winding and the more wires in the coil/transformer, the harder it is for the Ohm test to catch a shorted turn.

One more thing you could check is the AC voltage from the stator between the two yellow wires which is about 16 VRMS (the type of voltage digital multimeters measure on the AC scale) at "mid engine speed" as I recall, or thereabouts. If you have voltage there and no output to the battery then time for a new reg/rect.. (As I see it). In making the test I'd disconnect the yellow wires from the rect/reg. because if internally shorted, it would pull your voltage reading down and give you a false indication that your Stator was defective too.

Good Luck.

Well as long as your cables are all connected and in proper hygiene between the rect/reg. and the battery then it looks like time for a new unit. Possibly something shorted out in the unit that caused the burnt wires in the first place. I mentioned corrosion at connections as I have seen wires burnt as a result and never personally encountered a bad rect/regl..

Course if the rect/reg is internally shorted and sucking too much current out of the Stator, assuming it could supply it and didn't overheat and burn the insulation off the internal wires and short out, that could burn the insulation on the yellow wires also, which seems to be your case. When/if you decide to check the Stator output voltage and its lower than 16v as mentioned below, then you Smoked the Stator too. However, your Ohm reading being good pretty mitigates a damaged Stator......but, it only takes one turn to cause a coil/transformer to fail as all the power the component can generate is consumed internally, trying to bring up the "volts per turn" on that shorted winding and the more wires in the coil/transformer, the harder it is for the Ohm test to catch a shorted turn.

One more thing you could check is the AC voltage from the stator between the two yellow wires which is about 16 VRMS (the type of voltage digital multimeters measure on the AC scale) at "mid engine speed" as I recall, or thereabouts. If you have voltage there and no output to the battery then time for a new reg/rect.. (As I see it). In making the test I'd disconnect the yellow wires from the rect/reg. because if internally shorted, it would pull your voltage reading down and give you a false indication that your Stator was defective too.

Good Luck.
Thank you.

Measured AC voltage (at very low rpm) and it was steadily at 14,5V.

Should I rev the engine to see if it can produce higher voltage or is stator ok you think?

Stator is fine. AC voltage is fine. 14.5V divided equals 7.25V x2 =14.5VDC output. Regulator is doing its job. The connections burning is a common problem due to high resistance in connectors

Stator is fine. AC voltage is fine. 14.5V divided equals 7.25V x2 =14.5VDC output. Regulator is doing its job. The connections burning is a common problem due to high resistance in connectors
So do you think battery is gone?

Can I somehow make sure that reg/rect is putting out higher voltage to batteri than what i see when measuring at start battery?

Is it grey cable from rectifier that handles battery charging?

So do you think battery is gone?

Can I somehow make sure that reg/rect is putting out higher voltage to batteri than what i see when measuring at start battery?

Is it grey cable from rectifier that handles battery charging?
Oh, I guess I peform the test involving the 9V battery to determine if charging is working correctly. ☺️ I feel kind of dumb sometimes when it comes to 12V systems… 😮‍💨

Ok, so I’m at it again.

Will the 9V-battery test fail if start battery isn’t working correctly?

I hooked up the 9V battery and connected as picture. No reading on amperemeter….

So, my forum friends, I think we’ve solved it!

Disconnected main starter battery and connected only the extra battery, and voilà - it is charging! ~14,5V at 1000 rpm! So I assume main battery is toast…

Thank you all so much for your input and help!

Lets go summer! ☺️

Well sir I'm glad you got this fixed. Sooooo the reason the wire insulation was burnt is apparently the fact that the regulator was trying to charge the dead battery, pumping above average current for an extended time and the current in the yellow wires got the connector junction(s) hot (like happens frequently ) when corrosion builds up in connectors. As I mentioned up front, Merc. (for one) goes to a lot of trouble to protect connections by sleeving the connection with vinyl to vinyl sleeve contact to prevent/limit moisture intrusion.

Back