Logo

How long can I lay a Honda 2 hp OB on its side for?

magentawave

New member
Hi,

I’ll be traveling with my minivan and I don’t want to store my 2hp Honda 4 cycle OB inside the minivan because space is limited and I don’t want to smell gas fumes. Instead, I want to lay it on its side inside my Yakima rooftop cargo box.

Four questions, please...

1) Does it matter how many hours or days it can lay on its side inside the rooftop cargo box?

2) Which side should I lay the motor on?

3) How much gas can be in the tank when laid on its side before it will start leaking?

4) The Yakima cargo box is black so I suspect it will get very hot inside. Could the heat cause problems for the OB? Should I figure out a way to vent the cargo box?

Thanks very much! :^)
 
Last edited:
1. I don't believe there is a time limit on how long motor can be laid on its side. Heat may be an issue on the cargo box if in warm sunny climates. If so, it will get hot inside cargo box. Box should be vented if possible. Do not leave in direct sun when parked for longer periods.

2. There is a decal that tells you which side to lay motor down. It's also explained on owner's manual.

3. NO gas should be in tank!!!

4. See #1

NOTE: In cargo box, motor should be strapped down solid so it does not move.
 
Thanks for replying. If I'm using the OB everyday, or it's in the rooftop cargo box for a week or so, why can't I leave gas in the tank?


1. I don't believe there is a time limit on how long motor can be laid on its side. Heat may be an issue on the cargo box if in warm sunny climates. If so, it will get hot inside cargo box. Box should be vented if possible. Do not leave in direct sun when parked for longer periods.

2. There is a decal that tells you which side to lay motor down. It's also explained on owner's manual.

3. NO gas should be in tank!!!

4. See #1

NOTE: In cargo box, motor should be strapped down solid so it does not move.
 
Oh, you CAN leave gas in it....
The question is...
... why would you?

Unlike the cargo box, the fuel tank IS vented and, even if the liquid portion doesn't find it's way out, the VAPORS will.

Gas vapor is the portion of the fuel that actually ignites.

So...
If you want to release flammable vapors into a closed, hot box on the roof of the vehicle that you're driving

...your choice!

GOOD LUCK.
 
Hah hah, point well taken. My boat is way waaay out on a mooring so I was hoping I could avoid having to pump out the gas everytime. Got any suggestions for pumping the gas out? I guess I shouldn’t store the unvented gas tank in the rooftop cargo box either? Dang!

Oh, you CAN leave gas in it....
The question is...
... why would you?

Unlike the cargo box, the fuel tank IS vented and, even if the liquid portion doesn't find it's way out, the VAPORS will.

Gas vapor is the portion of the fuel that actually ignites.

So...
If you want to release flammable vapors into a closed, hot box on the roof of the vehicle that you're driving

...your choice!

GOOD LUCK.
 
Hah hah, point well taken. My boat is way waaay out on a mooring so I was hoping I could avoid having to pump out the gas everytime. Got any suggestions for pumping the gas out? I guess I shouldn’t store the unvented gas tank in the rooftop cargo box either? Dang!
Couldn't you just turn the motor upside down to pour the fuel out?
Is this cargo boxed sealed tight and not vented at all?
I thought these small motors had a valve on the cap that would also seal the fuel in as they are portable.
Honda indicates the vent can be closed for transport.
 
I guess I could just turn the motor over but it could make a big mess without a big funnel to catch the gas. Cargo box is sealed but I will look into getting a vent or two for it. There is a vent on the top of the fuel cap that can be shut tight. Thing is, I tried transporting it on its side a couple times and the fumes inside were too much. (The fuel cap vent was shut and the gas was off.) After that I transported it standing up inside my van to avoid the fumes. I just converted the Sienna minivan into a mini camper so won't be able to transport it inside nor do I want to.

Couldn't you just turn the motor upside down to pour the fuel out?
Is this cargo boxed sealed tight and not vented at all?
I thought these small motors had a valve on the cap that would also seal the fuel in as they are portable.
Honda indicates the vent can be closed for transport.
 
My dinghy is at a dinghy dock in downtown San Diego and anything that isn't bolted or welded gets stolen - and even that doesn't deter these b*stards. Last Thanksgiving thieves rolled through and stole six outboard motors off of dinghies. One of the motors had SIX locks on it! A couple guys with cordless grinders with cut off wheels and they were probably in and out in five minutes. Don't know if there's room, but I'm thinking of building a compartment on my dinghy that I can store the OB in. Nothing fancy cuz I don't want to spend a lot of money or time because it's just a plastic West dinghy, but maybe I'll make it look like an extension of the seat and kind of hide the lock under a lip.
 
If you're smelling the fumes, then gasoline vapor is present. There are small amounts of gasoline in the carburetor and fuel lines even after draining the carb. There will probably be a bit left in a drained tank as well

Did you know that if gasoline were being scrutinized as a fuel for motor vehicles today it would probably not be approved? That's because gasoline is a really dangerous fuel! We don't realize it because we've all grown up with it. Many people get injured every year while handling gasoline. This includes many "accidents" at filling stations. I still see people put the nozzle in the gas neck and then reenter the car and talk on their phone. I always pray that they ground themselves and GET OFF THE PHONE! before going back to the nozzle.

With a LITTLE fuel vapor present in a closed, hot box (I don't care if its vented or not) that provides the heat to pressurize a tank of liquid gas....well...it's a BOMB waiting to happen.

It would likely get you when you had a static charge built up on yourself and you went to open the box. But it's entirely possible that the fumes COULD be ignited while you're driving and then you have the catastrophe happening just above your (and your family's or friend's?) head.

Just sayin'.
 
Back
Top