Logo

HONDA BF200 Alarms at idle ?

Mudrod

Recently purchased BF200 [2003] that ran great during sea trial only to get her home and find the water stream quit working and the alarm sounded at which time I shut her down and removed the lower unit. The impeller was trashed and the housing had over-heated at some point and partially melted near the O-ring. Purchased new housing, impeller, liner, gasket, O-ring and re-installed. Now the pee stream is strong but at idle the high temp alarm [continuous buzzer] goes off until I rev up the motor to about 1000 rpm's and the alarm will stop, only to return at idle and alarm once again. What steps should I take to correct his issue ? Thanks is advance for your advice.

Regards, Mudrod
Texas Gulf Fisherman

Are you absolutely sure you are getting an overheat alarm? Continuous alarm, red overheat alarm on, green oil pressure light on, alternator light off, and "check engine (MIL) light off. Can you check with a heat gun?

If the water pump was trashed as you describe, it sounds like someone ran the engine out of the water. Even muffs will not provide enough water to properly cool that engine.

You likely have some debris from the disintegrated impeller stuck in the internal water passages. With the lower unit off, remove one thermostat at a time and fit and seal a garden hose in the opening. Seal around the opening as tightly as possible with a shop rag and duct tape. Then turn on as much water pressure as you can get. Catch the water in a bucket under the engine to see what comes out. Repeat at the other thermostat. If you are lucky, that will clear out whatever is blocking the water flow.

If that doesn't work, then you will need to dig deep into the engine to find where the blockage is. Often times you can figure out which side of the engine has the blockage by using a heat gun while the engine is running in a test trough or large trash can with continuously flowing water.

A possible area where debris will block water flow is at the water relief valves. See item 7 at:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2003/BF200A3 LA/MOUNT CASE/parts.html

Hi CHawk, Thanks for the advice. There were quite a few bits of the impeller in the water pump housing when installing the new kit. I will check as you suggest to pull thermostat's and flush the internal passages. I'm working on obtaining an infrared thermometer to measure the surface temp of the engine. Thanks again for your help.

Back