Logo

Honda 9.9 Extra Long Shaft Lower Water Pump Housing Removal

greggwag

New member
I was planning on replacing the drive shaft, and shift shaft seals on the lower water pump housing of my Honda 9.9, but when sliding the housing up the shaft, it hits a stop and won't go any further. It goes up about 1/2". The manual says that it should just come off, but something is preventing that from happening. Anyone have experience with these?

Thanks!
 
Hi,

I believe what you're encountering is the lower shift shaft stop/retainer pin not allowing the housing to slide up.
See item 32 in the link below labled "roller".


Although Honda calls it a "roller" leading one to think "roll pin"...(which is a common misnomer for spring pin)...
It is, in fact, a solid, stainless steel pin that is a real pain to get to AND push out of the very flexible shift shaft.

As a result, that pin is a major hindrance to replacing the shift shaft water seal.

In order to gain access to remove it, you must first remove the prop shaft with gear set.
While doing that is simple, removing (and replacing) that pin can be a real pain.

When I regularly worked on these Hondas, I actually made a "pin pusher" tool (which I have since lost) to deal with those pins.

Because, I found driving them out with the shaft still in the case very problematic due to the flex you encounter from the slender shift shaft.

But, I have had people tell me that they removed them with hammer and pin punch with no problems so ymmv.

Good luck.
 
Hi,

I believe what you're encountering is the lower shift shaft stop/retainer pin not allowing the housing to slide up.
See item 32 in the link below labled "roller".


Although Honda calls it a "roller" leading one to think "roll pin"...(which is a common misnomer for spring pin)...
It is, in fact, a solid, stainless steel pin that is a real pain to get to AND push out of the very flexible shift shaft.

As a result, that pin is a major hindrance to replacing the shift shaft water seal.

In order to gain access to remove it, you must first remove the prop shaft with gear set.
While doing that is simple, removing (and replacing) that pin can be a real pain.

When I regularly worked on these Hondas, I actually made a "pin pusher" tool (which I have since lost) to deal with those pins.

Because, I found driving them out with the shaft still in the case very problematic due to the flex you encounter from the slender shift shaft.

But, I have had people tell me that they removed them with hammer and pin punch with no problems so ymmv.

Good luck.
I don't think that's what's keeping the housing from coming off the drive shaft. I know the pin you are talking about though.
 
I have removed many lower pump housings bf25 s and don't recall anything else holding... i think i have one in the shop now .... will have a look and see if something rings a bell.... I have not done a 9.9
 
On the 25.... once the impeller and key are removed the lower housing comes right off
 

Attachments

  • 20241116_212100.jpg
    20241116_212100.jpg
    560.2 KB · Views: 50
Yes...
And do you feel a "spring-like" resistance as you pull up on it?

That's the shift shaft "push rod"...item 14 in the link I sent you above.... wedging against the shift pin in the transmission. Do yourself a favor and RESIST the urge to apply any force to ANYTHING.

Pull the propshaft with gear assembly from the case and ALL WILL BE REVEALED.

Make sure to pull the assembly with the case "nose up" so that the shift pin and return spring come with the assembly and don't fall into the case. THEN....
keep the assembly "nose up" until you can remove the pin and spring as they will fall in the dirt or on the floor and skitter away if you don't.
 
Yes...
And do you feel a "spring-like" resistance as you pull up on it?

That's the shift shaft "push rod"...item 14 in the link I sent you above.... wedging against the shift pin in the transmission. Do yourself a favor and RESIST the urge to apply any force to ANYTHING.

Pull the propshaft with gear assembly from the case and ALL WILL BE REVEALED.

Make sure to pull the assembly with the case "nose up" so that the shift pin and return spring come with the assembly and don't fall into the case. THEN....
keep the assembly "nose up" until you can remove the pin and spring as they will fall in the dirt or on the floor and skitter away if you don't.
The resistance is a hard stop, not spring-like.
 
Well, The whole gear case is apart, and the culprit is a step in the drive shaft. The shaft at the needle bearing in the housing is a smaller diameter than the shaft at the seals above. Only way to remove the housing is to remove the pinion gear on the end of the drive shaft, then the whole thing comes out. Why did Honda do that!? The difference in diameter is slight.
 
Yes, there it is in the 20hp manual....step 5 under waterpump housing removal....
....remove vertical shaft.

My memory failed me on that and I do apologize.

Good luck with the repair.
 
No worries. This is a 9.9, and the repair manual says nothing about removing the vertical shaft. All is well; I have to wait for a few parts, and back together it will go.

I didn't bother trying to replace the shift shaft seal. I attempted to remove one of the pins, and it wasn't budging, so I left well enough alone for now. I was going to replace the seal pro-actively.

Thanks for your input, it did help.
 
Yeah, those dang little pins are just a nightmare!

I referenced the 20hp manual because the 8, 9.9, 15 and 20 gearcases are all designed pretty much the same way.

Glad you're moving forward and I hope it goes smoothly for you from here on out.
 
Back
Top