Logo

Honda 8hp fuel information

Jempey

Hi , I installed a new needle and bowl gasket in a Honda 8hp . It runs fine in a barrel , over 1/2 hour . The owner is complaining that when he pumps the gas line bulb , the bulb doesn’t get real hard, and he can flood the carburetor until fuel comes out all over . I am trying to tell him this is normal , it runs fine and doesn’t flood . What do you say ?

Hi,
Well, I have to disagree with you. But with a caveat.

You should be able to pump up the bulb hard and then be able to squeeze it pretty firmly without it getting soft or leaking fuel if the needle valve and seat are good and the float is properly adjusted.

BUT....if the guy is giving it the old GORILLA GRIP....that's not good and it could cause a problem. Not only for the carb but for the fuel pump too. Kinda like blowing up a balloon too far.

Is there any chance that you could have pinched or nicked the new seal? That might make it leak like that.

I've had those little preformed gaskets not sit down correctly in their little groove. If they're left sitting in the sun before assembly, they can expand and tend to bunch up as you put the bowl back on. If you don't notice that happen then you could ruin it.

Good luck.

I will go and test it again . Yes the owner can probably squeeze 100 lbs on the ball . I know most fuel carburetors
use only a 7.5 psi max fuel pump . Anything over that can conceivably pop the needle from the seat . the OMC and Mercury out boards , larger ones , the ball pumps harder . I worked on a. Mercruiser once that was flooding steady . The owner had put on an electric fuel pump . There are 2 pressure ratings , 7.5 and 15 lbs . He had received the 15 lb one and it overpowered the carburetor needle . Thanks .

The fuel pressure specification for BF8 engines is listed as
17.2 kPA (2.5 p.s.i) in the Honda Marine Carburetion Manual.
If it's around 3 psi I'd call that good.

So....people need to be educated NOT to squeeze the $h!t out of the bulb.

It needs to be firm but not "torture tested". If you squeeze too hard you run the risk of popping the diaphragm in the pump, unseating the Inlet valve, or permanently bending the tang on the float.... or....all three.

Tell them that, if they damage the fuel pump, it will fill the crankcase with gas and destroy their engine.

Good luck.

Back