Logo

Honda 2HP 4-stroke question (Ethanol again)

dmgolub

I just got this new-to-me motor. It's a 2009 2 HP. It ran fine for the first few days, and now it's running a lot more sluggish. I'm thinking it's the ethanol in the gas. Should I use ethanol-free gas, and can I use Seafoam in that gas? Will that help? Thanks.

I just got this new-to-me motor. It's a 2009 2 HP. It ran fine for the first few days, and now it's running a lot more sluggish. I'm thinking it's the ethanol in the gas. Should I use ethanol-free gas, and can I use Seafoam in that gas? Will that help? Thanks.

I have the same motor on a canoe. It's constantly getting the jets in the carb clogged. I stopped using ethanol gas entirely and buy that synthetic mix you can find at Home Depot for lawn mowers. (No ethanol free gas here) No issues with that fuel at all and it comes in just the right size can for keeping in the boat.

I have the same motor on a canoe. It's constantly getting the jets in the carb clogged. I stopped using ethanol gas entirely and buy that synthetic mix you can find at Home Depot for lawn mowers. (No ethanol free gas here) No issues with that fuel at all and it comes in just the right size can for keeping in the boat.

My Home Depot doesn't have a product like you referred to. What is the exact name of your synthetic fuel, so I can ask about it around here. Thanks. I'd rather use a product like yours, rather than take a chance on the quality of some local gas station, which may or may not actually have non-ethanol gas...

Last edited:
My Home Depot doesn't have a product like you referred to. What is the exact name of your synthetic fuel, so I can ask about it around here. Thanks. I'd rather use a product like yours, rather than take a chance on the quality of some local gas station, which may or may not actually have non-ethanol gas...

Trufuel Synthetic . The Home Depot brand is called Powercare. Gallon cans are about $18, the smaller cans are about $5 and should almost give you two full tanks on your 2 hp. Too expensive for the big stuff but just the thing for tiny motors.

It's for both 4 and 2 strokes, comes in 4-stroke, 1:50 and 1:40 oil/gas mix. It does not go bad not matter how long you store it. I run all the power equipment on it from weedeaters to kicker outboards.

Trufuel Synthetic . The Home Depot brand is called Powercare. Gallon cans are about $18, the smaller cans are about $5 and should almost give you two full tanks on your 2 hp. Too expensive for the big stuff but just the thing for tiny motors.

It's for both 4 and 2 strokes, comes in 4-stroke, 1:50 and 1:40 oil/gas mix. It does not go bad not matter how long you store it. I run all the power equipment on it from weedeaters to kicker outboards.

Thanks

You can buy VP FUELS ethanol free gas at most power equipment repair shops and lawn and garden supply stores that carry turf care equipment.

VP FUEL is used in race cars and speed specialty shops may have it in stock as well.

As they used to say about the Yellow Pages...let your fingers do the walking...

Good luck.

You can buy VP FUELS ethanol free gas at most power equipment repair shops and lawn and garden supply stores that carry turf care equipment.

VP FUEL is used in race cars and speed specialty shops may have it in stock as well.

As they used to say about the Yellow Pages...let your fingers do the walking...

Good luck.

Thank you. This forum has been a big help.

I have the same motor, I run a combo of Ring Free, Seafoam and Marine Stabil in my, some times rec fuel (ethanol free) sometimes ethanol blend, never had an issue, always runs like a swiss watch.

You may want to inspect your oil level, if you have too much oil in it, it can create running issues.

Also if its "new to you" used, I am a proponent of assuming the worst from previous owners regardless of age and use. To me that means, immediate replacement of the following:

Oil
Gear Lube
Spark Plug
Inspection of fuel lines and replacing if needed - Internal on your specific unit.
You may want to inspect the tank
Carb inspection and cleaning

Then you know its good to go.

Back