You wrote: "3, if get air in fuel lines wouldn't the fuel bulb collapse ?" NO. Just the opposite - it would stay spongy. Note that when engine is running, the primer bulb will get soft, but not real "spongy." The primer bulb will collapse when there is a clogged fuel vent or a clogged fuel tank pick up tube. You should check both if you are getting a collapsed primer bulb.
You wrote: "problem seemed to show up after I filled tank full at end of first day us w ful" Normally, there is a check valve at the top of the fuel pick up tube. That could be stuck partially closed or clogged. If you have one, pull it out and shake it. If it doesn't rattle, replace it. (Not long ago someone on this forum talked about throwing away the check valve, connecting the fuel line directly to the pickup tube, then installed an aftermarket check valve further up the fuel line where he could get to it more easily.)
There is no filter in the VST that I am aware of. However, there is a screen underneath the HP filter, if I recall correctly and someone previously wrote about a screen under the HP fuel pump, but I have never had to replace mine, so I don't know for sure.
Once you have done all of that and if the problem still is not resolved, take a look at your fuel pressure regulator. If you have the Helm shop manual, take a look at pages 5-83 & 5-84.