Logo

Honda 2003 200HP High and low pressure fuel filters

The low pressure fuel filter is covered in the owners manual, which you can download for free from http://marine.honda.com/support.

Ironically, the dastardly HP filter is not covered in that manual, and it is the source of many issues with the 200 and 225. There are videos on the Internet. However, if you are going to be doing your own maintenance, I recommend investing in the Official Helm Shop Manual. It's about $116 on eBay or Amazon. Chapter 3 - Maintenance, is worth it's weight in gold. It provides detailed maintenance procedures for ALMOST all of the items you will need. Two exceptions - the mid-shaft bushing and the intake air bypass system.
 
The dreaded mid-shaft bushing, Justin check this bushing when you replace the impeller and pump housing,After a few 100 hours,they have a tendency to wear due to inefficient cooling in that housing, I believe sandkicker or chawkman has the updated recall on that one>
 
This maybe the video Barracuda was eluding to:

He's dome some helpful stuff.

Actually just replaced the high and low pressure filter this weekend on my 225. It was the second time doing it but still referenced this video. Make sure and replace both O-rings as well. Very helpful video!
 
Metal-Chicken - that's a very good video. For those who watch this - a couple of observations and cautions...

1. I didn't see him re-install the new rubber seal on the HP filter cover. That's REALLY important and it's easy to forget it or get it pinched on re-installation.

2. He did not mention the spring in the bottom of the HP filter canister. It's important to make sure that lines up properly with the bottom of the filter. I'm assuming that all 200's and 225's have that spring, but could be wrong.

3. Those two screws the hold the IAB vacuum diaphragm can be replaced the small SS hex-heat bolts, which makes it a lot easier to get on and off.

4. Before re-installing the IAB vacuum diaphragm, it's good practice to pull on the arm and make sure it springs back. If it doesn't, the baffles on the IAB are stuck and the whole thing should be removed and lubricated.

5. Finally, it's good practice that once everything is back in place after a HP filter change, have someone activate the key switch to energize the HP fuel pump and closely observe the area around the HP filter to make sure there are not leaks.
 
Thanks for the additional pointers - great info.

My filters were done last year and I've just done the LP filter - can I leave the HP for another year (only 50hrs/year)?
 
With only 50 hours, you can probably get away with not changing the HP filter. HOWEVER, that filter is the source of an exceptionally high number of performance issues with the 200's and 225's. The darned things just seem to deteriorate on their own. Probably has something to do with ethanol laced fuel.
 
I've got a new HP filter so if I get any issues I can swap it over but would prefer to do it every two years if possible.

Here in the UK we have a maxiumum 5% ethanol so our effects aren't quite as bad - but the potential is still there.
 
Metal-Chicken - that's a very good video. For those who watch this - a couple of observations and cautions...

1. I didn't see him re-install the new rubber seal on the HP filter cover. That's REALLY important and it's easy to forget it or get it pinched on re-installation.

2. He did not mention the spring in the bottom of the HP filter canister. It's important to make sure that lines up properly with the bottom of the filter. I'm assuming that all 200's and 225's have that spring, but could be wrong.

3. Those two screws the hold the IAB vacuum diaphragm can be replaced the small SS hex-heat bolts, which makes it a lot easier to get on and off.

4. Before re-installing the IAB vacuum diaphragm, it's good practice to pull on the arm and make sure it springs back. If it doesn't, the baffles on the IAB are stuck and the whole thing should be removed and lubricated.

5. Finally, it's good practice that once everything is back in place after a HP filter change, have someone activate the key switch to energize the HP fuel pump and closely observe the area around the HP filter to make sure there are not leaks.

Chawn man,

so do you recommend any additional steps, or replacement any parts while I'm in there replacing the fuel filters?
 
Back
Top