Logo

Harmonic balancer moved back 1/8"

tdwaters

I recently bought a 1987 bayliner with 3.0L OMC sterndrive. How do I know if this is Cobra or Volvo Penta. Model is 302AMFTC with stamping on engine block of GM 2770087.
How uncommon is it for outer portion of harmonic balancer to move back and lightly scrub the timing gear cover. I have engine out of boat, and was able to knock harmonic hub and outer portion back into alignment. I am a little afraid to use it like this, $249 for new HB.
Also found one skirt of one of the 4 pistons broken off but not chewed up, laying in bottom of oil pan.

How uncommon is it for outer portion of harmonic balancer to move back and lightly scrub the timing gear cover.
very
Also found one skirt of one of the 4 pistons broken off but not chewed up, laying in bottom of oil pan.

Teardown time! Actually I would say if you are in love with this boat then order up a long block from our hosts. Ir isn't all that expensive if you have a rebuildable core and all the parts to bolt on the new engine. Rebuilding yourself will be about 30 percent more money.

However, if you are thinking with your head and not your heart you will stop everything now, part out what you can and have the rest hauled away.

Yes it's a Cobra. Volvo took over in the 1990s.

Engine looks good with oil pan off. I have ordered a new harmonic balancer and plan to see if engine will run reliably for another 5 years. It ran 2 years ago before former owner parked it in storage.

Back