Logo

Hard to crank in water, easy on land

bluto72

I have a 2001 60hp Mercury bigfoot 2-stroke that starts easily on land but struggles to crank when put in the water on the ramp. If it decides to start and we get on the water, subsequent starts are usually ok though it can still struggle a bit at times.

When this first started, I took the obvious route of replacing the starter (from DB Electric) and solenoid and checking wiring. Started great on land, barley turned over in water. Finally got it out and at some point, it would not start. Tried a bunch of times and eventually the solenoid welded itself closed. Had to put a portable jump pack directly across the starter to get it going.

That solenoid was some cheap one that should have worked for a normal 60hp motor, but not a bigfoot. Bigfoot requires a slightly stronger starter and solenoid (starter was OK). Replaced solenoid with a proper on from DB Electric. Started great on land, same problem on water. While trying to get it to start this time, I fried the new solenoid and starter and even a battery terminal!

At that point I did a full electric overhaul. New battery, solenoid, and starter (from DB Electric again). I replaced every wire/cable from battery to starter. Removed all electrical tape and butt connectors and cleaned up every wire I could find with soldered, waterproof connectors. Even replaced the controller and cables (they were sketchy). Ohm'd everything out. Next time out, it struggled a bit to start every time, but we got through the day. At that point (last June 2023) I put it away and forgot about it.

It's almost as if it's mechanical at this point and putting it in the water somehow makes the engine difficult to turn. I decided this year to mess with it a bit. Figuring that the impeller is always turning, and that pumping water puts a load on the engine that is a bit negated while using the muffs under pressure, I thought I'd have a look at the lower. So, currently I am replacing the impeller and all seals I can get to easily.

The lower seems to be OK from what I've seen so far. I do not know yet, but I suspect that I will still have the same problem once I get it back on and test it next week at the lake.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what on earth this could be? BTW, engine runs like a champ once started and it started great (in my driveway) last week.

I honestly am not too sure where I determined that. But you bring up a good point about starters. One unlikely cause that fits the bill perfectly is that I got two bad-ish starters. I have been considering this and perhaps, like you say, I need to try a true mercury starter 🤷‍♂️

Need to check the stator output as if stator is weak the additional backpressure in water will slow cranking RPM will result in weak spark

Back