Logo

Gas coming out of all three carbs

Jeremyc71479

I have a 1985 mercury mariner 150 hp. Gas has started coming out the front of all three carbs. I tore the carbs down and checked all floats. All floats are good and float valves are working. And to my surprise the inside of the carbs looked brand new with no build up. Could it be a fuel pump problem? It runs fine just gas pouring out the carbs.

Seen that happen lots of times. Not sure why, but here's the fix:

Remove carbs, drop the float level a 1/16 of an inch.

Mount carb in a vise and pressure it up with a fuel source--I use my test tank. (You'll have to some plumbing work to get a fuel connection.)

Pump the bulb hard as you can and, if it still leaks, drop the float another 1/16 until it stops.

Jeff

DONT DO THIS on V-6 carbs as it will lean out at WOT!!!! Float test the floats as the foam ones go badand check for debris under needles. Also inspect the needle tips for a ring or swelling.

I to have seen the hoses degrade, thanks to that dammed ethanol. The little black specs enter the carbs and cause all kinds of hell. Replacing the hose after the filter, and cleaning the carbs, SHOULD eliminate the problem; hopefully.

We'll see, right?

Jeff

Back