Logo

Fuel filter

indybleck

Contributing Member
I want to change the fuel filter on the carb but can't seem to get a good grip on the nuts. The thermostat housing and the the sight hose from the fuel pump won't give me enough clearance to get two wrenches in there. I'm sure there is a filter in there and it looks like the nuts haven't been touched, until I tried and the ears started to peen over. What's the best way to get into it the motor is a 5.7 four barrel Rochester as far as I can tell. There is a water separator filter closer to the pump which won't be a problem. I need help with the inline paper one in the carb. Thanks once again.

Last edited:
Yes, there will be a small screen or filter inside of the Rochester carburetor body in this area.
If you can somehow safely apply heat to this area, it will help you crack it loose.

Ditto Chief's tubing wrench idea.

The thermostat housing and the the sight hose from the fuel pump won't give me enough clearance to get two wrenches in there.

Ayuh,... Just like wrenchin' on Anything else,...
Ya gotta remove the stuff that's in yer way of gettin' to what ya wanta get too....

sometimes another option is to undo the other end of the line, and slide a box end wrench all the way along - stronger than a line wrench and if you have 6 sided box end wrenches, even better

Back