Logo

Fix - Mercruiser 5.0 - 260hp - Acceleration drops when reaching 1100rpm

Resilaro

Member
Dear all, good morning! I have a Coral 28 Full speedboat (2007) with a Bravo 3 Mercruiser 5.0 260HP gasoline outboard engine. The boat has been sailing for 430 hours and I have owned it for about 4 years. I bought it after 350 hours of sailing and I only fuel it with Podium. The previous owner performed periodic maintenance, including replacing the mufflers. I also perform maintenance and my sailing is very smooth. It does not exceed 3,000 rpm and sometimes I go months without sailing.
A year ago, the engine was performing below normal. I called a marine mechanic who, after analyzing it, reported that the distributor had oil residue. He said that the distributor would have to be replaced, so I replaced the entire distributor and the boat started sailing normally again. Three months ago, I started having a series of engine problems that were discouraging. The engine was not performing well and seemed to be running in safety mode. I called the mechanic, who said it was the spark plug wires. I changed the wires and spark plugs. When testing in water, the mechanic identified a problem with the water pump. We replaced the water pump repair kit. When testing again, we found that the lever that connects the engine to the stern drive was corroded and broken. To make this change, it was necessary to remove the stern drive and move the engine. We replaced the entire lever assembly, pin and other items in this assembly. When testing in water, we identified after starting tests that the alternator was sending 17/18% power. We removed the alternator and sent it to a specialized workshop to rebuild the entire part. When installing the alternator and testing, we noticed that the engine, when reaching 1100 rpm, drops in revs as if it were in safety mode. The mechanic analyzed it and identified the need to replace the temperature sensor. We replaced this sensor. When testing the engine, the acceleration continued to drop when it reached 1100 rpm. At that moment, we called a Mercury technician to scan the engine and the scan only showed a fault in the TPS sensor. We replaced this sensor and the problem persisted, without showing any fault on the scanner. Then the Mercury technician started checking other engine items: Fuel pump OK, Oil pump OK, IAC OK, Cylinder pressure 11-11-10-10-9-8-8-7, Wiring OK, Injector nozzles removed and cleaned OK, he checked the CPS and said it was OK. I tested the module on another engine like mine and it was OK. After these tests, he said that the problem is more serious and that it will possibly be necessary to remove the engine from the boat to analyze it in the workshop. This work takes a huge amount of time and has a frightening cost.
I know you are a Mercruiser specialist technician, but I have a feeling that it might be something less complicated and that is why I am looking for anyone who has had this problem with this type of engine and can share this experience/solution with me. I am immensely grateful for all your collaboration. Thank you.
 
I would suggest doing a leak down test on the engine,don't like the difference in your cylinder pressure test.
 
The fuel pressure needs to be tested while the boat is on the water, in gear and at several speeds. When I was trained by Mastercraft, we were told that they recommend testing at KOEO (Key On, Engine Off), Idle, 2000 RPM and WOT. Yes, WOT. Not for long, but move the throttle smoothly through the range and if it bogs, note the RPM. We already know about 1100 RPM, but a common issue would occur around 3200 RPM and that corresponded to a clogged filter in the fuel pump, which was NOT in the tank and IIRC, was a Chrysler part, as shown in the photo. These have a screen at the bottom, which is actually where the two fittings are visible.
 
Are the Compression Test values shown in KPa and missing the x 100 multiplier?

also, are they given in cylinder order (1, 2, 3, etc) or in firing order??
 
A leakdown test, properly executed, will give you insight as to the condition of the cylinders...its more comprehensive than a compression test...
 
A pressão do combustível precisa ser testada enquanto o barco estiver na água, com marcha e em várias velocidades. Quando fui treinado pela Mastercraft, nos disseram que eles recomendam testar em KOEO (chave ligada, motor desligado), marcha lenta, 2000 RPM e WOT. Sim, WOT. Não por muito tempo, mas mova o acelerador suavemente pela faixa e, se ele atolar, observe o RPM. Já sabemos sobre 1100 RPM, mas um problema comum ocorreria em torno de 3200 RPM e isso correspondia a um filtro entupido na bomba de combustível, que NÃO estava no tanque e, se bem me lembro, era uma peça da Chrysler, como mostrado na foto. Eles têm uma tela na parte inferior, que é onde os dois encaixes são visíveis.
A bomba de combustível foi testada e, segundo o técnico da Mercruiser, está normal. O combustível é novo (Podium). O scanner da Mercruiser foi executado várias vezes com o motor ligado e desligado, e só apresentou falha no sensor TPS, que foi substituído. Depois disso, o scanner foi executado novamente com o motor ligado e desligado e não houve falha, apenas um aviso sobre um medidor de combustível que, segundo o técnico da Mercruiser, este modelo de motor não utiliza e o aviso pode ser desconsiderado. Obrigado pela resposta. Abraços.
 
A photo of the tag on the engine with all models and serial numbers would help.
Part of the label is worn and illegible, but the other part is clear. Thank you.
 

Attachments

  • Etiqueta Motor 1.jpg
    Etiqueta Motor 1.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Etiqueta Motor 2.jpg
    Etiqueta Motor 2.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Etiqueta Motor 3.jpg
    Etiqueta Motor 3.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 38
A bomba de combustível foi testada e, segundo o técnico da Mercruiser, está normal. O combustível é novo (Podium). O scanner da Mercruiser foi executado várias vezes com o motor ligado e desligado, e só apresentou falha no sensor TPS, que foi substituído. Depois disso, o scanner foi executado novamente com o motor ligado e desligado e não houve falha, apenas um aviso sobre um medidor de combustível que, segundo o técnico da Mercruiser, este modelo de motor não utiliza e o aviso pode ser desconsiderado. Obrigado pela resposta. Abraços.
Translation
The fuel pump was tested by the Mercruiser technician and is normal. The fuel is new (Podium). The Mercruiser scanner was run several times with the engine on and off, and only showed a missing TPS sensor, which was replaced. After disso, the scanner was executed again as the engine linked and unlinked and there was no fault, just a warning about a fuel gauge that, according to the Mercruiser technician, this engine model does not use the warning can be disregarded. Obrigado peels response. Hugs.

Mercruiser 5.0 MPI 260HP engine No. 1A047262. Thank you for your reply. Hugs.
Thanks
Motor uses 555 ECM, HVS distributor
The HVS distributor cap is well known to fail without warning and can look great. You said wires were replaced but not cap. Even if you did replace the cap when wires were done, I would replace again just to rule it out. If it doesn't help keep it in the boat because they can go anytime. No need to replace now until leak down test is done

Compression test
Bar 11-11-10-10-9-8-8-7
Psi 159-159-145-145-130-116-116-101

Need to do a leak down test, because the 3 cylinders at 8 and 7 Bar are to low. At those pressures the are basically not producing any power

Traducción
Gracias

El motor utiliza 555 ECM, distribuidor HVS.

Es bien sabido que la tapa del distribuidor HVS falla sin previo aviso y puede verse genial. Dijiste que se reemplazaron los cables pero no la tapa. Incluso si reemplazaras la tapa cuando terminaste los cables, la reemplazaría nuevamente solo para descartarlo. Si no ayuda, mantenlo en el barco porque pueden irse en cualquier momento. No es necesario reemplazarlo ahora hasta que se realice la prueba de fuga.


Prueba de compresión

Barra 11-11-10-10-9-8-8-7

psi 159-159-145-145-130-116-116-101


Es necesario realizar una prueba de fugas porque los 3 cilindros a 8 y 7 bares están demasiado bajos. A esas presiones, básicamente no producen energía.
 
Ok, I understand the difference between compression and leak tests. As I said, the compression test was performed with the values sent in the initial text. According to the technician, only one cylinder is below the expected value, but this, according to him, would not be a reason for the engine to enter safety mode when reaching 1100 rpm. I also saw the equipment sent for the leak test. I will talk to the technician about performing this leak test. Thank you very much! Hugs.
 
Are the Compression Test values shown in KPa and missing the x 100 multiplier?

also, are they given in cylinder order (1, 2, 3, etc) or in firing order??
Thank you for your interest in helping. I will take these questions to the technician and send the answers soon. Thank you very much!
 
Translation
The fuel pump was tested by the Mercruiser technician and is normal. The fuel is new (Podium). The Mercruiser scanner was run several times with the engine on and off, and only showed a missing TPS sensor, which was replaced. After disso, the scanner was executed again as the engine linked and unlinked and there was no fault, just a warning about a fuel gauge that, according to the Mercruiser technician, this engine model does not use the warning can be disregarded. Obrigado peels response. Hugs.


Thanks
Motor uses 555 ECM, HVS distributor
The HVS distributor cap is well known to fail without warning and can look great. You said wires were replaced but not cap. Even if you did replace the cap when wires were done, I would replace again just to rule it out. If it doesn't help keep it in the boat because they can go anytime. No need to replace now until leak down test is done

Compression test
Bar 11-11-10-10-9-8-8-7
Psi 159-159-145-145-130-116-116-101

Need to do a leak down test, because the 3 cylinders at 8 and 7 Bar are to low. At those pressures the are basically not producing any power

Traducción
Gracias

El motor utiliza 555 ECM, distribuidor HVS.

Es bien sabido que la tapa del distribuidor HVS falla sin previo aviso y puede verse genial. Dijiste que se reemplazaron los cables pero no la tapa. Incluso si reemplazaras la tapa cuando terminaste los cables, la reemplazaría nuevamente solo para descartarlo. Si no ayuda, mantenlo en el barco porque pueden irse en cualquier momento. No es necesario reemplazarlo ahora hasta que se realice la prueba de fuga.


Prueba de compresión

Barra 11-11-10-10-9-8-8-7

psi 159-159-145-145-130-116-116-101


Es necesario realizar una prueba de fugas porque los 3 cilindros a 8 y 7 bares están demasiado bajos. A esas presiones, básicamente no producen energía.
Regarding the distributor, an important piece of information is that in November/23 the distributor was showing oil residue, at the time the mechanic said it would need to be replaced. I found the original part only in one place (in Brazil) at a frightening price, so I bought a similar one complete (including the cap). The supplier said it was a part compatible with the original Mercruiser part number (884794A02). When installing it, it did not fit perfectly; the lower part of the gear fit but did not allow the distributor to close. I spoke to the supplier if it was the wrong part and he said he had been supplying this distributor for over 10 years for this type of engine and had never had this problem. He suggested taking it to a mechanic for adjustment or returning it free of charge and with a refund of the amount paid. I decided to take it to the lathe and make the adjustment, after the adjustment the part fit perfectly and the engine worked normally, I remember that this was in November/23 and after that I sailed a few times without problems until in August/24 the engine started to lose power while sailing and the problems started as per the initial text.
 

Attachments

  • Distr 1.jpg
    Distr 1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Distr 2.jpg
    Distr 2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Distr 3.jpg
    Distr 3.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Distr 4.jpg
    Distr 4.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Distr 5.jpg
    Distr 5.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 31
When installing it, it did not fit perfectly; the lower part of the gear fit but did not allow the distributor to close... ... I decided to take it to the lathe and make the adjustment, after the adjustment the part fit perfectly and the engine worked normally,
I don't think the current problem is the distributor but what part of the distributor was machined?
 
Actually, the compression test fails using the 1997 update GM provided...that said, I'd agree it is the root cause for the problem encountered at 1100 RPM.

Agree with AllDodge on the HVS caps - the are notorius for random failures...
 
The engine is suspect. It is no good at the moment. That's one thing.
The other thing is a bit more complicated. A 28 boat with a 305 single is not going to be fast. In fact I am surprised it gets on plane. For it to do that the bottom of the boat cannot have any marine growth. It must be very clean. How long has it been that the boat was taken out and the bottom painted? To add to that, if there are weak cylinders, which it is clear that there are, your engine is not making very much power.
I hate to say this, but this engine must come out and have the low compression problem repaired. Right now your boat is not usable without putting a very large amount of money into it. It could be as simple as a head gasket, or a complete rebuild with new pistons. Can't say. The person who sold it to you probably knows that engine is no good. I can't believe it was operating properly from the very first time you used it. Now it is dead.

Or, better yet, go see your friendly Mercruiser dealer and set up for a complete new power package with at least a 6.2L. The 8.2 is better suited for your boat size. You may be surprised at how easy it is to repower with your trade-in and financing.

Big decision time.
 
The leak down test will indicate if the compression issue is with the rings or the head and can be done in the boat. If its in the head then motor doesn't need to be pulled but would make it easier
 
Good afternoon everyone. I spoke to the Mercruiser technician and he said that the engine is not actually at maximum power due to low compression in the 3 cylinders. However, he himself is not sure that the problem of reaching 1100 rpm and dropping the RPM to safe mode is a consequence of low compression in these cylinders, especially since no sign of failure appears on the scanner. He said he will do another test by replacing the current distributor with a revised original one. After that, if it is unavoidable, I will plan to open the engine to analyze what the problem may be. Thank you all for your constant contributions. Hugs.
 
As I mentioned, you may get this engine back to good condition but the boat is underpowered quite a lot. If I was you, I would be shopping for the next one. Sell this.
 
I only sail along the coast, short distances and I don't go over 3000 rpm. This is my first boat, my family and I really like it and due to my sailing style, it serves us well, even though it doesn't have a high-powered engine. In any case, I'll take the advice of someone with more experience and if the problem isn't solved, I'll think about changing the boat. Regardless, even to sell the boat it has to be in a condition to sail, so I'll have to fix it anyway. Thank you for your attention and willingness to help. Hugs.
 
I don't know where you are, but around here a Chevy 350 is cheap and easy to find. Too bad you are in a place where you have to repair that old engine.
 
Good morning everyone! The Mercruiser technician replaced the distributor with an original one and the problem of the engine dropping remained. He also replaced the coil and at that moment the engine stabilized, according to him it was excellent, with normal acceleration and normal idle. He reported that the engine is working perfectly, but after 10 minutes it beeps and cuts off the ignition. If you start it again it starts normally but after about 3 minutes it cuts off the ignition again. The engine works normally with the pressure gauge needle at 45 and after about 10 minutes at idle it beeps and cuts off the ignition, then at high rpm and the pressure needle oscillates a lot from 0 to 60 without cutting off the engine and emitting beeps. I tried to attach some videos but they were too long and I couldn't send them. If anyone has an idea of the origin of this new problem, I would appreciate it if you shared it. Big hug to everyone. Thank you!!!
 
The beep and cutting out is there is a loose connection. With the fuel pump going from 0-60 is telling me its on the ECM side of the harness. The ECM side is where the relays are. A bad relay or bad connection is causing the issue of cutting out. There is a connector which connects the engine harness to the ECM harness
 
Good morning. Thank you for the information. The marker that stabilizes at idle at 45 and at high speeds fluctuates from 0 to 60 is the PSI (attached photo). Do you know how to test the relays? I will check the engine harness connector to the ECM harness. Thank you very much for your collaboration. Hugs!!
 

Attachments

  • Foto PSI.jpg
    Foto PSI.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 39
Thought you were talking about fuel pressure, being oil check behind helm for a loose ground

Put a meter or test light on the coil 12v side and see if your loosing power
 
Back
Top