Logo

Fastwin coils quality

Nucad

Regular Contributor
Thinking about replacing my ignition coils and plug leads on my 1971 Fastwin and was wondering if there is a preferred brand when it comes to price/ reliability? I see quite a selection on Ebay, but want to do this once. Also noticed that the coil design changed over the years .In my parts book it is listed as a 580197 . Does this also effect points/ condensor suitability?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Sierra has had fit problems, I don't know if they have been corrected or not. I'd stay away from them till it is proven they have been fixed. CDi has a good reputation. Lots of peope go only for OEM. Hopefully, they are all compatible.

I have personally used many of the versions and all will work just fine, check fit, however (have had to trim a tiny bit sometimes), but I can't attest to how long they will run. Many "hard body" replacements, however, I have noticed, will burn through again and sometimes crack. So I will recommend the "softer body" versions for the best longevity. All will work and be compatible with OEM points and condensers. Wires must be a braided copper core, high quality.....don't skimp on quality here.

Last edited:
It is also very important to make sure that coils fit perfectly in their place, without touch flywheel inside parts. I spent more than one hour, with just one coil, to make it fit correctly to the stator plate.

Those green ones used to be from Germany.------Excellent quality.------European manufacturing was / is ahead of many other parts of the planet.-----Me thinks they come out of one " super factory " and put out the back door with many different names on the packaging.

The OMC coils from the 50's / 60's /70's all suffered from the plastic casing crumbling.------And the wires in coils are coated and called " magnet wire " a very thin coating that can fail.----Today the materials available may be much better.-----But as you know the bean counters will specify what quality of material is to be used.-----Folks do not always buy the better higher priced stuff in my opinion !!!

About wires, my Lightwin have pretty nice ignition wires, they also look and feel nice, previous owner must have replaced them sametime with all others ignition parts. My wires have text: Hypalon ignition wire. Thats all i know about these, i think they are good quality. About other ignition parts, cant believe how hard it was to find right spark plugs to my Evinrude. Those particular Champion spark plugs can only get from dealer.

Right, the champion plug j6j or j6c is readily available here in the USA and for my thinking they are the best plugs for these vintage motors rather than NGK or Bosch. I also have available the Autolite brand which has a proper conversion number of 303.

That 1971 requires -----WIRE CORE----sparkplug wire 7 mm diameter.-------Carbon / automotive wire is not recommended.

Right, the champion plug j6j or j6c is readily available here in the USA and for my thinking they are the best plugs for these vintage motors rather than NGK or Bosch. I also have available the Autolite brand which has a proper conversion number of 303.
Thanks for these tips. Might any of you have a link to these quality coils or wires available online. The Evinrude dealer I'm guessing is my most expensive option?

Where are you in Ontario? I have lake camps in NW, Big Canon Lake and Lower Manitou Lake, both near Dryden.

Last edited:
Back