Logo

F70A trim issues

Madgalah

Hi,

I recently purchased a boat with a F70A 70hp. Took it out for the time yesterday and I loved not having the 2 stroke smell and being able to have a conversation at full noise.
However, as I was heading back to the ramp I noticed the motor wasn't tilting up. Going down was not a problem. So I went into some shallow water so I could manually tilt it up.
I found that when I tried to tilt it up there was an audible click. I checked the fuse and that was fine. When I trimmed it down it worked fine. I have noticed that the up trim is quite slow compared to other boats I've had.
When I got it home and gave it all a good clean I thought I'd try the trim button again. Sounded like it wanted to work again. Realised I forgot to tighten the manual screw. I then tried ti trim and it worked. Slowly but it worked again.

Does it sound like the trim motor is on it's way out or could it be something simple as a relay?

Thanks

Motor is failing, high amps resulting from this could have burnt the contacts in the relay too but suggest replacing motor first and try it, if intermittent you will need to replace the relay too.

Motor is failing, high amps resulting from this could have burnt the contacts in the relay too but suggest replacing motor first and try it, if intermittent you will need to replace the relay too.

Thanks for the reply mate. I managed to suss out the issue. It was a stuffed relay.

Back