Logo

Excessive smoking 87 Evinrude 140

dmak2

New member
I have resealed the fuel enrichment solenoid(leaking externally), repaced the air intake gaskets(distorted) replaced plugs, checked comp.( 90 psi. all 4)and ran with fresh fuel both through vro sys. (ck'ed oil reservoir tank for contamination) and mixed fuel blocking oil supply line. Ran about 4 gals. mixed fuel through the motor to make sure all residual oil inj. oil was purged. Still smokes heavily (grey) and doesn't want to run at low rpm (1/4 throttle and below). What else should I do. Is 90 psi. comp. enough to burn efficiently?
 
I'll ck for sure but it seems to be running smooth at 1/4 throttle and above.(too smooth to be loosing even 1 cyl.) I haven't checked the spark gap jump but none are fouled after running a while and checking. What do you think about the 90 psi. comp.? I have ck'ed that with 2 different gauges warm and cold engine and it is very consistently 90 on all 4 cylinders.
 
I would say there is something wrong if it won't idle properly.----Time for you to do the trouble shooting.----Saying it runs " too smooth " is not trouble shooting.----They run very well on 3 of 4 cylinders.----Good luck with it.
 
Thanks for the reply. I will do some cking on weather or not it's running on all cylinders. You didn't say weather you felt 90 lbs. of compression could be contributing to my excessive smoking concerns.
 
i have same year engine and hp , get a spark gap tester there like $10 from autozone and check for 3/8-716 gap best to do it at low light or dark with it in a barrel or backed in lake , you can also check for spark escaping coils/wires etc at while doing it,another test you can do if you have a timing light shine it at you and drive it around with it connected the beam should be consistent, 90 pounds i would say is on low side but being the numbers are consitent is good mine are 125-115 if that help[s.
 
Back
Top