Ashley Drew
New member
Hi,
I have a Mercury 115 4 stroke, 2013 model. It was running perfectly until I smoked it into a rock at speed. It hit right on the bullet. My local mechanic has removed the lower unit. The drive shaft and prop shaft both turn but it's stuck in forward gear. He's going to dismantle up to the shift shaft to find the extent of the damage.
Anyway the strange thing is that with the lower unit removed, when we tilted the motor full up engine oil poured out through the drive shaft hole. This surprised my mechanic like it just shouldn't happen. They're wondering if there is a seal or something missing from when the engine was manufactured. The engine never leaked a drop previously.
Is this normal? I'm hoping that it's just the way it is with this model of engine. Anyone?
Thanks
Ashley
I have a Mercury 115 4 stroke, 2013 model. It was running perfectly until I smoked it into a rock at speed. It hit right on the bullet. My local mechanic has removed the lower unit. The drive shaft and prop shaft both turn but it's stuck in forward gear. He's going to dismantle up to the shift shaft to find the extent of the damage.
Anyway the strange thing is that with the lower unit removed, when we tilted the motor full up engine oil poured out through the drive shaft hole. This surprised my mechanic like it just shouldn't happen. They're wondering if there is a seal or something missing from when the engine was manufactured. The engine never leaked a drop previously.
Is this normal? I'm hoping that it's just the way it is with this model of engine. Anyone?
Thanks
Ashley

