Hi,
I've got a 50 HP Merc 4 cylinder w/ serial 0a131953..
Doing the water pump today I noticed it's got a pin on top of the driveshaft. That immediately made me suspicious and I went looking at the parts breakdown. There, sure enough, it shows a spring, part # 20254 (NLA).. I don't think it ever had one (will look around to verify it's not still up in the crank but I don't think so because I did inspect that area to verify splines were good)..
What it does have, which similarly is odd and not shown in the parts diagram, is a sort of plastic splined bushing that seems to go on top of the driveshaft, fitting over it such that you would not be able to push it up too far into the crank I guess.. possibly this part takes up some space and replaces the spring?
I did find an old stock new spring on Ebay and bought it just now, however not sure if I need it with the bushing that's there or what the deal is. About 10 years ago I did the water pump on this engine and probably went through the same thinking (but do not remember)... Can anyone comment on what the deal is with these parts?
Thanks,
Jon
I've got a 50 HP Merc 4 cylinder w/ serial 0a131953..
Doing the water pump today I noticed it's got a pin on top of the driveshaft. That immediately made me suspicious and I went looking at the parts breakdown. There, sure enough, it shows a spring, part # 20254 (NLA).. I don't think it ever had one (will look around to verify it's not still up in the crank but I don't think so because I did inspect that area to verify splines were good)..
What it does have, which similarly is odd and not shown in the parts diagram, is a sort of plastic splined bushing that seems to go on top of the driveshaft, fitting over it such that you would not be able to push it up too far into the crank I guess.. possibly this part takes up some space and replaces the spring?
I did find an old stock new spring on Ebay and bought it just now, however not sure if I need it with the bushing that's there or what the deal is. About 10 years ago I did the water pump on this engine and probably went through the same thinking (but do not remember)... Can anyone comment on what the deal is with these parts?
Thanks,
Jon

