Logo

Cranks But Won't Fire

wlhans47

Please help. I have limited experience with outboards but am relatively competent with internal combustion engines. I have a 2009 Mercury 25 EFI 4-stroke that cranks but won't start. The choke and fast idle do not appear to be working. All was well with this motor until recently. I've replace the fuel lines, tank, fuel filters, plugs and the primary fuse. Fuel flows freely from the tank to the engine. Could there be a fuse other than the main fuse that I need to check or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks. Yes as I mentioned in my initial post, the choke and fast idle do not appear to be working. Before this problem, when I engaged the choke there was an audible clicking sound. Now there is no sound and I never smell fuel no matter how long I have the choke button engaged. Does the fuel pump or the choke have it's own fuse?

I'm pretty sure it's an efi. Model number stamped on engine is Mercury F25ELPT 4-stroke, SN: OR299646, Mfg: Feb, 2009. The cowling shows 25 EFI and I don't see any carbs.

If its the 3 cylinder EFI it has no choke on engine even though the remote control key switch pushes in. When you just turn key to on you should mhear the electric fuel pump come on and run for a few seconds, if not check fuse and connections at VST tank.

It is a 3 cylinder, and I don't hear anything when I turn on the key. I'll check out the fuse as you suggested when I can get back to the boat storage facility where I keep my boat, most likely this weekend. Thanks again for all your help and I'll post my findings.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I forgot my password and haven't been able to get reset, so I created this new account. You were 100% correct about not getting fuel. The fuel pump definitely in not working ( no sound - - - nothing). The only fuse I can find is a 20 amp miniature on the top left side of the engine (when in boat facing the motor). That fuse looks and tests good with my ohm meter. If there is another fuse (my wiring schematic for the fuel system indicates there is an in-line fuse) I can't find it. Where in the world did they hide the fuse?

Back