Logo

converting 25" to 30" shaft OR available LU??

Wasque

Contributing Member
I'm considering building up the transom on my 22' whaler, and would need to increase the length of the shaft from 25" to 30". Anybody done this before and if so, what parts are needed; new driveshaft, and midsection? Might anybody happen to have a 30" lower unit?! I'm in CT!

Thanks

Hi,

If you want to find used parts, you'll need to list what outboard you have...
Just sayin'.

Good luck.

If it is an old , old Whaler and built with foam it might not float properly any more.----Yes it could be waterlogged !

sorry guys!! It's a 2004 225. The boat is a 1979 Outrage 22, the first year of that generation that was in production into the mid 90s. In years beyond mine, BW offered a full transom with the Whaler Drive, their version of a bracket which not only prevented waves from coming over the transom, but also pushed the engine back for improved performance.

My transom is very much looking like it will need to be rebuilt, so now is a good opportunity to either build it up and put a bracket on OR build it up, and convert my engine to a 30" shaft. Also, I'm getting tired of water always coming over the transom and this would certainly fix that.

oh and racerone, its 41 years, she's got water:)

Thoughts?

thanks

EDIT - its a 2004 225, 25" shaft with counter rotating LU. I would be open to 30" regular or counter rotating...though with the CR I would still be able to use my prop!

They were built with the low wide transom to be able to use twin outboards, I have an 86 Outrage 18 with the same low transom. Your single Honda is probably a similar weight to the 2 old 2 strokes It may have come with but it may even be heavier. My splashwell will get water in it when reversing but no issue when underway. Don’t think I’ve ever seen a Whaler with a completely rotten transom, they were built strong.

Back