Logo

Constant Alarm

Shutterly

Hello all! thank you in advance for your time and expertise. My Honda 225HP upon turning the key switch on sounds an alarm. The oil pressure light comes on (which there can't be any pressure yet because the motor hasn't started) and a beep beep beep happens. If I start the engine the beeping says the same. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello all! thank you in advance for your time and expertise. My Honda 225HP upon turning the key switch on sounds an alarm. The oil pressure light comes on (which there can't be any pressure yet because the motor hasn't started) and a beep beep beep happens. If I start the engine the beeping says the same. Any help would be appreciated.

Found that the water/fuel separator was full of water and the float was at the top thereby sounding the alarm. Emptied it and replaced the filter. Ready to go fishing!

Yep - that's the only fault that gives a rapid alarm.

If you have an external fuel/water separator (which you should have - i.e. like a Racor 10 micron) you should also change that filter. Then at some point in time you will need to get the water out of your fuel tank. If you can trailer the boat, or get it on a lift, raise the bow, and tilt the boat to one side or the other. Let it set a while to settle the water and debris down in that lowest corner of the fuel tank. Remove the inspection plate, or the plate that holds the pick-up tube in the fuel tank. Snake a hose down to the lowest part of the tank, and use either a mechanical or electric pump (rated for moving volatile liquids), to pump out several gallons of fuel. Keep pumping until you get clean fuel. Note that some folks simply use their primer bulb for this task, but I have found that procedure does not get all of the water and debris out of the tank.

I use a 12-volt aftermarket auto fuel pump for this task - I think I paid about $40 for it, but that was a long time ago. I do this about every two years just for preventive maintenance.

Now, all you have to do is figure out how to safely get rid of the contaminated fuel.

Just as an aside, I make it a habit to top off my fuel tank at the end of every season and treat it with Marine Stabil. Then, I don't refill it until as late as possible in the following season. Doing this helps prevent getting contaminated fuel from the local marinas that has been sitting in their tanks over the winter and accumulating water, or worse.

Back