Logo

Check out this oil bypass! 1988 Mariner 90hp

FiveStar

Contributing Member
I just bought a motor off a guy (got a great deal) who had bypassed the oil pump by putting the oil reservoir line straight into the fuel pump!

He said he's been running it like that with no issues and only adding a touch of oil to the petrol tank as a bit of precaution.

Funny things is the comps are all at 100 +/- 2. Do you think the fuel pump has the power to suck in that oil also? Can't believe the engine isn't stuffed.

P.S. Does anyone know if you can still get electric oil pumps for these?

Premix the fuel at 50:1 and then monitor oil usage for a couple tanks of gas. You cannot just guess it is working, if it was me i would just premix from now on and cap off the oil tank. Put a mark on he oil tank and top off the fuel tank with premix. After you refill the fuel tank pour oil into the oil reservor up to the mark then divide ounces of oil into ounces of fuel used.

Something is wrong here.--------Any pictures of this bypass ??---I would not run that the way it is hooked up now !!-----And where did you hear about electric oil pumps for these motors?

The electric pumps are for V-6 motors and no longer made as company out of business. I would check that it still works as the bottom driven oil injection gear rarely fails on these motors.

@racerone, I'm home for xmas so can't take any picks but essentially, the bottom oil reservoir line was plugged straight into the fuel pump oil in intake elbow. I definitely won't be running it that. Maybe it was able to get just enough oil to keep it from breaking down. I'm sure it wasn't good.

@faztbullet, thanks for the advice. I will check to see if it is working. Running it on 50:1, can I take the oil pump off and watch the worm gear (driven gear shaft) for movement while the motor is running, to check it? I also heard these driven gears were made partially of plastic? Or maybe that is not the case?

Back