Logo

Charging issue

modelt

Contributing Member
TO ANSWER MY OWN PREVIOUS QUESTION ON THE TAPPING OF 12 VOLTS OFF MY NEW 24 VOLT STSTEM, I HAVE TO RE-ROUTE MY ACCESSORIES TO MY SEPARATE 12 VOLT BATTERY.
I WILL HAVE 2-12 VOLT BATTERIES WIRED TO MAKE 24 VOLTS FOR MY NEW 24 VOLT TROLLING MOTOR
I CURRENTLY HAVE AN ON BOARD CHARGER WITH 2 - 12 VOLT LEADS.
HAVING THE ONE LEAD CHARGING THE EXISTING 12 VOLT BATTERY .... ADDING THAT SECOND BATTERY TO PRODUCE 24 VOLTS, WILL THE ONE CHARGING LEAD CHARGE BOTH BATTERIES WIRED IN SERIES.
IN OTHER WORDS, WILL THE CHARGE TRICKLE INTO THE SECOND BATTERY, ONCE THE FIRST BATTERY IS CHARGED ?
I KNOW THEY SELL AN ON BOARD CHARGER WITH 3 CHARGING LEADS ....
JUST TRYING TO SAVE A FEW DOLLARS ....
HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE
right now, iam confused

keep it simple...disconnect the load and charge the batteries separately one at a time... or buy a bank charger...

if you would have read my post, i do have a bank charger, 2 charging leads
iam adding a 3rd.12 volt batty
one 12 volt for my gas engine starting
2-12 volt batteries, 2x12= 24 volts for my new 24 volt trolling motor
my question was, will the one charging lead charge both 12 volt battries that are wired in series ?

As indicated a 12v charger will not charge 24V, the simple solution will be to add a 4 position switch 1, 2, both and off between the 2 battery 24V setup, both when running your trolling motor, and then 1 or 2 to charge the batteries independently, that makes it simple you don't have to disconnect batteries to charge.

See if this helps you out...
MAKO191WiringSchematic-2.jpg

Back