Logo

Can I put a power tilt and trim on a 73-77 mercury 200 20hp?

kerrazy

New member
Hello folks,
proud owner of a 1970's era mercury 200. Unsure of year as I can not locate serial #.

It unfortunately does not allow me to keep motor in water for shallow locations. Motor tilt notch brings prop right out of water. As this is a new to me motor, maybe I am missing something, part or technique.
I am curious if I could install a power trim and tilt from a 40hp merc to this unit?
Also my wiring from my starter box has lost it's insulation. As anyone had success removing the potting gel and resoldering a new wire? Then replying potting gel.
 
I think the later model 3 cyl. 50's is as low as it goes. I know Tohatsu has it on their newer 20 hp range engines. Know of no one else.

Mark
 
Are you saying that going up only one pin exposes the prop? If so, your boat must have a near vertical transom.

If this is so, then a power tilt would do no good since the prop is already coming out of the water.

Jeff
 
No Jeff, I am saying that the lever on the left side completely lifts prop out of the water. On other outboards I have used this was a shallow trim position. Not to lift prop right out of water.
LIKE am very reluctant on pulling the pin and moving it to another location when hands are cold and wet. I can foresee it dropping to the bottom of lake all to easy
 
Ah! I see. Agreed on that cold and wet stuff--and the plus the possibility of dropping the pin.

Good luck on the CMC kit.

Jeff
 
In the old and cold days we used to have a string in our coat sleeves so that mittens would not be lost.---------Might work to attach a string or wire to the tilt pin.
 
I think the later model 3 cyl. 50's is as low as it goes. I know Tohatsu has it on their newer 20 hp range engines. Know of no one else.

Mark

This thread is rambling, but I just got up, just saw the alert that the thread had been hit and just hit upon something. As I recall maybe it was Merc. That had what's called a shallow water drive. It went along with their fishing engines that were designed with the rear sloping lower unit along with the smooth leading edge (not like OMC of the day with the gearbox prodruding out the front to catch on anything and everything), thru prop exhaust and all that. I had a 7 1/2 of the vintage.

Anyway, there was a little flip up bracket that locked the engine up where the prop was very near the water and the purpose was for shallow water drive. It put the height of the lower unit about even with the bottom of the boat such that if the boat could float over it the engine could propel the boat and not hit it (anything). Course you could only putt along like this, but you had propulsion.

Is this what you are talking about?

If so, let's start over.

Mark
 
Back
Top