Logo

Bolt ID

dawgs

Regular Contributor
2003 Honda BF225

I removed my lower cowling to repaint. When I did a allen head set screw fell out. Probable 1/4 inch screw It was sitting inside the cowling and it must have fell out prior to me removing it. I can't seem to figure out where it came from. Does anyone have any idea where it goes?

this isn't it but it looks like it

Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 12.40.32 PM.jpg

Check all the cable hardware. Check the power wires at the fuse panel and starter/solenoid. I'll take a look tomorrow at my engine while I'm working on it to see if I can ID exactly what it is.

If you have a water pressure gauge, the location for where the pressure is picked up in on the starboard thermostat housing. In order to install the nipple to the housing, a plug, just like the one in the picture has to be removed.

So it could have just have been dropped during the installation and not retrieved.

Mike

I agree with Mike. Besides that one, the only other Allen head screws I'm aware of on that engine are the ones on the engine cover, but they look different than the one pictured. Having said that, I certainly haven't looked at every fastener on the 225.

I think it would be helpful to upload a picture of the actual item and give the measurements, especially diameter in millimeters.

I found one almost identical, accept in my boats rear scupper. Held onto it for a month or so when I noticed the center cap on my helm was loose. Missing the set screw ;)

Look at the throttle cable at the throttle body. There is a black plastic piece that the cable rides in that has at least two small allen set screws in there.

Thanks wendy ill look. Do you know where they would be in the parts diagram so i can get a better idea?

Thanks

I looked at the parts diagram and it doesn't show it as a "part". It also doesn't give a direct look at the part. It is up top next to the throttle body. You want to be on the port side of the engine and look at where the cables interface with the throttle body. It is a roundish shaped part where the set screws are. I'll try to post a pic of it tomorrow.

NW - Don't you mean the starboard side? On my 225 the throttle and cables are starboard (looking at the engine from the rear.)

OK my apologies. The screw I was remembering was the throttle body's throttle stop screw. My memory was giving me an image of allen screws on the black plastic piece but the screw that fits your description in that area is actually the throttle stop screw. It is now official that I'm getting old. Pic is in the link I posted. Your screw seems a bit shorter than this though.

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.ne...=631c0d882afc92d3280758ca23b7a36c&oe=5B1BEBAF

Back