Logo

BF90A - 2003 - starboard engine "pee" intermittent

krc

Have twin Honda BF90A from 2003, about 500 hrs. Starboard engine always had a weaker stream since purchase (Jan 2018). Now, it is "stopping". I have taken a wire and run through the exit port for the stream and sometimes it gets it flowing "somewhat". No alarms are going off.

If I use the flush port on the "port" engine the pee stream is solid, but even with using the flush port on the "starboard" side, it show little flow. I am thinking this is a blockage somewhere but reaming the line with a wire, etc... doesn't seem to help so I guess I need to pull it off.

The tube seems to wrap around the back of the engine and into some connector below the thermostat. Not sure what I should pull off to get to the connection.

Any ideas on best way to proceed?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ksbiwnxa801szz4/UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4a6.jpg?dl=0

Weak, intermittent or stopping, I would check the following in this order. Since it is a 2003 and you puchased them in 2018 I would be suspect of the water impeller first. Most likely a chunk has broken off and is blocking your water inlet causing less stream or stopping all together.

1. Drop the lower unit, inspect and replace the impeller, you should do this on both engines if you are the new owner and don't know the last time it was done. Honestly if its a 2003 its WAY overdue for that. I do mine every few years. Preventative maintenance is far easier and cheaper than trying to dislodge a particle within the engine.
2. Once replaced if that does not address it, I would pull off the water inlet cover, inspect and clean and replace gasket
3. Flush the motor
4. Replace the thermostat and gasket for good measure

That is what I would do. Buying used I personally find it a piece of mind knowing its been updated.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard Engine/2003/BF90A3 LRTA/parts.html

and pick out your parts.

I agree with eneusiis. HONDA actually recommends a new impeller every season but most of us know that the pumps will last 2 or even three years. However, It is my experience and now my policy to replace the entire pump kit instead of just the impeller. Putting a new impeller into a used housing will result in a pump that will not perform at 100% efficiency.

You most likely have a partial blockage in the tell tale bypass circuit. To clear it, remove the side cover with the tell tale nozzle mounted to it and REMOVE the flexible hose and REPLACE it. That little hose gets hard over time but it needs to be SOFT and PLIABLE so as to allow small twigs and pebbles to pass out the nozzle. Replace that hose every two years.

With the hose off and your gearcase removed to do the pump, REMOVE the nipple that the hose pushes on to by unscrewing it from the engine block. Use a rubber tipped blow gun and shoot air into the tell tale passage. Use FULL AIR PRESSURE from the compressor as it will not hurt anything in the water passage.

With the nipple and hose left off, service the pump. When the pump and gearcase is back on, start your outboard. You can have it hooked to a hose with muffs but it is PREFERRED to have the water intake and gearcase submerged in a trash can (test tank) full of clean water.

Make provisions for the water GUSHING from the tell tale passage not to ruin anything valuable nearby. It's best to do this outdoors as opposed to in a garage for obvious reasons.

Testing your pump in this manner will assure that anything that didn't get blown out with the shop air will be ejected by the pump pressure.

It also will give you a good indication of how well the pump works as well as an appreciation of how powerful it is.

Lastly, put the nipple back in the block and the FRESH, SOFT, SUPPLE tell tale tube back on.

VERY IMPORTANT!...Make SURE that the tell tale tube is ROUTED correctly! It only goes back on one way! If you don't route it correctly, it WILL get pinched when you put the cover back on. Take a picture in the beginning to help you remember. Keep in mind though that if you're copying what the LAST GUY did, it's possible HE or SHE might have gotten it wrong.

Good luck!

Update: Thanks for the advice everyone. I was able to get the blockage gone by pushing water up through the tell-tale line from a hose with an adapter. Seemed to work fine. Then I ran water through the flush port for about 15 minutes and tell tale was strong the entire time.

I did see a small problem. A water drip coming from one of the water hoses. Never seen this before - there was a zip tie used for this instead of a hose clamp? Is that normal practice for marine application? Is it okay to replace with a hose clamp and hopefully tighten down enough to prevent the link? I am new to marine applications...

Seems odd -- I wouldn't think a zip tie could give even pressure across circumference unless there is something I am missing (special zip tie? tool?)

Pic is here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8d5qr3q44cj0v12/Image-1.jpg?dl=0

Update 2: And, to clarify, the boat is new to me but was serviced (per previous owner) annually. I don't know when the impellers were lasted changed - I will check with the outboard shop as I assume they would have records.

This is the clamp that it is supposed to be. https://www.partstree.com/parts/honda/parts/90602-zv3-030/

You could use a wire tie, but should be one that is rounded at the head so that it grips uniformly all the way around.

I standard screw down hose clamp could work. Honda does not like to use them. My opinion is that it would probably be ok, since the nipple that the hose is on is metal. If it were a plastic nipple, then the screw down hose clamp would deform the plastic nipple.

It is hard to tell for sure, but it looks like that hose goes to the flush port. It might leak some while flushing, however, there should be no drips there when the motor is running. There is a one way valve inside that cover, that allows the flushing water to go into the motor, but seals off and keeps water from coming the other way when the motor is running. If it does, it needs to be taken apart and cleaned good or have parts replaced.

Mike

Back