Logo

BF225 keeps blowing number 5 fuse

cyenche1

Hey there, so I'm having an issue where this thing blows number 5 10 amp fuse. boat was running fine all day was parked on a beach and when we went to head back to the launch ramp it would not start and hasn't started since. every time I put a new fuse in as soon as I turn the ignition on it pops the fuse every time. I traced the wiring to the little blue plug on the front part of the engine close to the latch for the cover but I loose it from there in the wiring harness. curious if anyone else has had this issue. motor is a 2003 btw

Hi,
I'm not the resident expert here on the 225 but I do have an an old fuse chart and a not so great wiring schematic for them. I would just send them to you but I can't figure out how to post them here.

The fuse chart says #5, 10a fuse feeds the:
Alternator

Heated O2 sensor

Fuel line cut off solenoid valve

Inlet air bypass (IAB) solenoid valve

VTEC solenoid valve

And the service check connector....that's probably the "little blue plug" you found.

All those items are fed from that fuse via a yellow/blue wire.

Just a guess but, since O2 sensors are known trouble makers, I would try unplugging it right off the bat and see if the fuse doesn't blow.

If it still blows, then I would move to another component, and unplug that. If you unplug each component listed, one at a time, you're likely to find the offender.

Good luck.

Hi,
I'm not the resident expert here on the 225 but I do have an an old fuse chart and a not so great wiring schematic for them. I would just send them to you but I can't figure out how to post them here.

The fuse chart says #5, 10a fuse feeds the:
Alternator

Heated O2 sensor

Fuel line cut off solenoid valve

Inlet air bypass (IAB) solenoid valve

VTEC solenoid valve

And the service check connector....that's probably the "little blue plug" you found.

All those items are fed from that fuse via a yellow/blue wire.

Just a guess but, since O2 sensors are known trouble makers, I would try unplugging it right off the bat and see if the fuse doesn't blow.

If it still blows, then I would move to another component, and unplug that. If you unplug each component listed, one at a time, you're likely to find the offender.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response. So I’ve traced it down to the trim angle sensor but doesn’t make sense to me because that doesn’t seem to be on number 5 fuse. What is confusing is the blue plug is the female side with light green/black wire, yellow/blue wire, and black wire. And the male side is black plug with red/blue wire, white/blue wire, and yellow/black wire. Every time it’s plugged in it pops fuse as soon as I turn ignition on but when it’s unplugged it’s doesn’t blow the fuse but motor will not start.

ADEC6774-4FC6-4316-BA69-AF6A546E999D.jpeg

277F7833-7ECC-4541-BEE1-C0D864B6EA90.jpeg

Yes,
That is odd. But I also see something on the schematic that doesn't make sense either so maybe there's a "connection".

There are TWO #16 connectors listed. One is the blue plug going to the trim angle sensor but the other one labeled 16 goes to the fuel lock solenoid and contains a yel/bl wire.

You seem to have the same schematic that I have so, do you see that?

You might try unplugging the fuel lock solenoid and see what happens.

Sorry, made a mistake....

The blue connector is labled as #18

There ARE two connectors labeled 16 on the schematic but one is black and for the trim up/down switch not the angle sensor. The other is for the fuel lock solenoid and contains that yel/bl wire but no color given for the connector that I can see.

I'm wondering if it's one plug with 5 wires? Not sure why they would show it in seemingly two locations.

Hope I'm not just confusing you. Using my phone and old eyes/brain to read schematic.

Ok....well I have certainly managed to confuse myself so I can only imagine what I'm doing to you if you're reading what I've been writing.

Looking for red/bu wires I can only see two. One goes to the warning lamp from the ECM and another to the knock sensor.
While doing that, I discovered that the #16 connector description doesn't indicate a particular connector but is simply a notation for ANY black connector...and there are a few.

I imagine that you are probably way ahead of me and already know that....unless I have scrambled your brain with my gobble-de-gook. Sorry. I'm just trying to help but doing a really poor job of it.

But, since I'm in so deep already I will just say that, based on what you're seeing, it certainly seems that the wiring is either a bit "mixed up" or the schematic isn't correct. I'm going with mixed up.

I don't know why one side of that trim angle connector would be blue and the other side black.
I suspect though that someone has introduced a problem and it may have been done while trying to solve another problem.

Another possibility is that the sensor is the "wrong part" (from a later model perhaps?) with a different color scheme.
But it was working OK before so it might not have anything to do with the fuse blowing.

I would still go with unplugging items one at a time to try to find what might be shorted. O2 sensor, IAB, Vtec solenoid, knock sensor, fuel cut off solenoid.

I'll shut up now and let you think.

Rig a 12 volt lamp across the fuse terminals so you don't have to keep blowing fuses while you test.
While the short to ground is present, the lamp will be lit. When you remove the short, the light will go out. It will tell you immediately when you unplug the bad component. It's also handy for wiggling and jiggling the wiring and connections in case that's where the problem lies.

Back