Logo

BF225 fault codes help please.

Captmerc

Further to my thread "BF225 alarm issue part ll"
I have pulled codes and have code 24 & 25, possibly code 1.
when I turn the key "on" I get two beeps, then a single flash ( not sure if thats a code, or a start of sequence indicator ) then codes 24 & 25.

can any of you guys tell me what the faults are?

thanks, Captmerc

24 is overheat sensor 1. 25 is overheat sensor 2.

First check for good connections at the 2-pronged plug. If you have the Helm shop manual, go to pages 5-56 - 5-57 for testing procedures. First steps are as follow:

Disconnect the 2P sensor and test resistance between the two terminals of the connector on the sensor side. If engine is cold, and ambient temperature is around 80 F, then resistance should be somewhere around 1500 ohms +/-. If it is very different from that, replace the sensor.

If sensor passes that test, turn on the key switch and check the voltage on each of the wires coming from the CPU to the sensor. One sensor has a red wire and the other one has a red/blue wire. Voltage between each wire and engine ground should be 4.3 to 5.25 volts.

Hey Chawk, thanks, I had found them earlier, I also noted that it could be an issue of a bad ground. The thing that I find most annoying is that I had gotten replacement sensors, and instructd the mechanic to change them and check the connctions because I i had a raw water leak from the fuel pump back there.
his excuse for not changing them? " I dont change parts unless I know they are bad"
He also said his diagnostic tool was not working so he could not check the fault, I reminded him about shunting the black and green wires to read the code and was told "but if you dont do it correctly you can cause more issues" I took a video of the MIL light and sent it to him, havent had a reply yet.
these are the best on the island BTW, I am a very competent mechanic, and sometimes think I should just do it myself, but the sun is just too hot, and I am nowhere as inclined to get greasy as I once was, but It would probably be less annoying.
Ah, the joys of owning a boat, and dealing with repair men.

Sea trial report, cleared the codes, one of which was #1 went for alng run about 30 minutes, came off plane, Idled a bit, then back on plane 4200 rpm for another 20 minutes, then 2 min a WOT, back off plane , rheb back up to 4200 again, no issues, hope thatbis behind me now time will surely tell.
Gonna check all three for codes this week just to satisy myself.

Good to hear. Let us know if you get any more fault codes.

You have been on an interesting saga. I sounds like those heat sensors are a bit prone to failure. Good to know.

Update, I have checked for codes on all three engines, I figured I might as well, all is good, no codes, I did have ALL the O2s cleaned at service, so hoping that was the issue.
kids/grandkids coming down from Canada, and want to take them to Exuma for a few days, Nassau Highbourne and Staniel, looking for a trouble free trip.

Back