Logo

bf130 delay after turning key for check engine light & buzzer

swade

Contributing Member
Hi maybe this is something I haven't noticed...though it sure seems different than prior behavior. Haven't had this motor in the water yet, just on hose in the driveway.

Before xmas, flu,etc few weeks ago started fine, ran fine.

Came back and today and spent a good part of the day thinking there was a battery or electrical problem.

I kicked switch and no fuel pump, beep or check engine light for probably a good 30 seconds. However I wait and suddenly boom everything works. All of today I wasn't waiting 30 seconds and was turning if off before that thus i thought something was broke and an electrical problem most of the day! This has me stumped.

sometimes everything will OK right after kicking the switch (which is what i thought it did before the break). Sometimes the delay.

I thought more than a few times it was not doing anything, maybe a 1/2 beep, but I'm not 100% sure now since I *just* noticed the CEL and buzzer working fine most of the time after waiting 15-30 seconds. I have the battery on a charger and going to check more tomorrow.

Anyone else noticed this? You probably think i'm nuts but i swear it didn't wait this long a few weeks ago the last time i ran it. Could be the battery but theres plenty of juice to turn over the motor plenty of times and start it, I really suspect batteries but I can't say i've noticed this before with low batteries.

Thanks!

Seems strange I tried it a few times later this evening, 1st time, from kicking the switch to getting the double beep and check lights about 15-20 seconds:

kick switch, oil pressure green, slight buzzer chirp, no fuel pump noise....I wait 15-20 seconds, got the double beep, battery and mil light test, fuel pump initialized, then they go out, motor starts fine.

Went to store came back and a couple were immediate after kicking the switch as was usual. Next one took about 15-20 seconds. It will start fine, no CEL or warning lights (aside from the usual green oil pressure ok light when running).

I dunno...maybe it's doing some voltage calculations or something? Going to keep it on the charger overnight.

That is strange! My first step would be to remove the battery terminal connectors and clean them thoroughly. Next, I would spray some WD40 into the key slot tumblers and work the key back and forth several times. Reconnect battery, and test for immediate response.

wierd! but indeed it *seems* lubing the ignition with some silicone seems to have fixed the problem! At least from trying it a few dozen times this morning. Thanks chawk! I probably would not have thought to try that.
Will try it a bit more today but sure seems to have worked!

In many key switches, there is a spring that forces the contacts to close when you turn the key. I suspect yours got a bit corroded and/or dirty and was delaying the contact sequence. WD-40 would be a bit better than plain silicon, since it has more cleaning chemicals. Glad I could help.

Yeah good call! i followed it up with some penetrant when i found the can, and works like a charm every now everytime. Thanks again

crazy, this cropped up again, just odd how it was working that day,

anyways i tried a new ignition switch same thing so I decided to pull the main relay and follow the test in the manuals for that
and that seems to be it. When I energize the relay I hear a click and I have brief continuity between white/yellow and yellow/black for a partial second but then it's open. So I'm thinking that's bad which accounts for the very quick chirp and partial CEL lights i see briefly. I think that should be constant continuity when the relay is energized (+ to black/yellow and - to black) I'd imagine? not just open and close.

What's the correct main relay part number for this? boats.net lists 3
06380-ZW5-303
06380-ZW5-000
06380-ZW5-004

the one i have says 004

The 303 is superceding to the 000. It appears that the 06380-ZW5-000 is the most current number to use. Honda has a few of the 303 left, but have more than 1000 of the 000.

The 004 number is not even a valid number anymore.

Mike

Mike

Back