Logo

Alpha One Stalling Going into Gear

fastjeff

Gold Medal Contributor
My engine would shut off, thanks to the cut off switch, when going into reverse and was hell getting her going again when cold. Reason? The ignition was still shut off thanks to a sticking shift cable (from the cut off switch to the OD).

My man Steve came by to fix it, armed with a new cable, but we soon learned that was not the problem: The problem was the vertical shaft the cable operates, the shaft that moves the shifter shaft coming out of the gear box. The bushings were tight after not being lubed for 30 years or so. A few shots of penetrating oil and some 'exercise' and the shaft was rotating freely again. Unit works perfectly now.

If this is happening to your Alpha one, the fix is not too difficult. Remove the rams and those 6 nuts that hold the drive on and pull her back enough to access that shifter shaft. You'll need a new gasket between the drive and the transom adapter (it usually rips), but that's all. Steve pulled the cable out, cleaned and lubricated it, but it wasn't really the problem.

Jeff

I replace the bushings on the bell when I do a transom assembly reseal.

I do not recommend lubing the shift cable.

The new oem cables are Teflon coated and need no lube. The older cables that are not coated still do not need lube.

Dockside, you said old shift cable, please explain how you get out shift inner cable out, with the crimped on 6 " long barrel at end of cable that connects to shifter on top of motor ?
I maybe dumb and don't know , but old inner cable doesn't slip out of outer cable does it ?
I don't know please explain how please.

Dockside, you said old shift cable, please explain how you get out shift inner cable out, with the crimped on 6 " long barrel at end of cable that connects to shifter on top of motor ?
I maybe dumb and don't know , but old inner cable doesn't slip out of outer cable does it ?
I don't know please explain how please.

Get a book.

Yes today did complete bellows on 1985 Sea Ray , will be putting in lower unit in the morning.
All bellows shift cable. Water in hose, gimble br. Old school has clamp at aft on bell housing not drive in ring.

Hey Mikey, Your so fine, Hey Mikey..........

Anyway.

at the shift bracket at engine where shift control cable and short cable mount. Remove short cable, there are two pinch screws in the plastic end that pinch the inner cable, loosen them and the plastic end piece comes off exposing the inner cable. Carefully file any burrs of where it was pinched and now you can pull the cable out at bell housing.

In the book/manual it shows how to assemble this. YOU need to figure out that the reverse is how to take it apart......

Hey Mikey, your so fine, hey mikey...................

You're trying to be funny, I get it. How do I attach a pic. and I'll show you . new cables don't come with barrel on the end. Cause coller or barrel can't slide thru outer cable .

Old inner cable , the 2 little square set screws your talking about lock down on that collar not the cable it self like the new cables.

Yes set screws, pinch screws or simply screws.

Go to "Go advanced" lower right of reply window.

New window appears and there is a box labeled manage attachments. click it and see if you can figure out the rest.

It is not the best or easiest USER INTERFACE for uploading an image..believe me!

Or you can send a private message to Good old reigning expert on all things boats, RICARDO..........he knows everything there is to know about Mercruiser and has the most first hand experience of any of the contributors here..........ask and he will tell you so!!

If he doesn't have an answer NO ONE WILL!

Although he may go on a rant about piston design and timing advance you know the good old TA TI SA SI and 500 other acronyms he likes to you to try to show his expert use of the English language which in the end has little to do with anything.................ect.............. so be cautious when asking for his help.......Bahahahaha

Last edited:

Or you can send a private message to Good old reigning expert on all things boats, RICARDO..........he knows everything there is to know about Mercruiser and has the most first hand experience of any of the contributors here..........ask and he will tell you so!!

If he doesn't have an answer NO ONE WILL!

Although he may go on a rant about piston design and timing advance you know the good old TA TI SA SI and 500 other acronyms he likes to you to try to show his expert use of the English language which in the end has little to do with anything.................ect.............. so be cautious when asking for his help.......Bahahahaha

Jack, I hope that someday you will find a way to become more mature and to act more adult like, and will no longer feel the need to be threatened by other member's posts.
The bantering that you create is uncalled for. It adds nothing to the thread. It does nothing to help the OP. It only causes disruption to what would otherwise be a good flowing thread.
I do agree that it does give you yet one more post count (that appears to be very important to you)!

If you were to gain maturity, and were to increase your self esteem, you would see that there are polite and adult ways to disagree with another member.
Keep in mind, we are all here to offer help to an OP..... not to argue among ourselves. Bantering and arguing only disrupts the thread!

Also.... FYI...., an acronym is an arrangement of alpha characters (word abbreviations) that phonically sound out a word.
Examples: NASA, SCUBA, ASAP are all acronyms.
TA TI SA SI are not acronyms, they are initialisms.... aka abbreviations.

Last edited:
I've got books , this ain't my 1st , got book explain to me how?
I asked. Wanting to know how?

Sorry, This is boat repair 101 stuff. I am not going to expand on simple things.

s-l640.gif

Jack, I hope that someday you will find a way to become more mature and to act more adult like, and will no longer feel the need to be threatened by other member's posts.
The bantering that you create is uncalled for. It adds nothing to the thread. It does nothing to help the OP. It only causes disruption to what would otherwise be a good flowing thread.
I do agree that it does give you yet one more post count (that appears to be very important to you)!

If you were to gain maturity, and were to increase your self esteem, you would see that there are polite and adult ways to disagree with another member.
Keep in mind, we are all here to offer help to an OP..... not to argue among ourselves. Bantering and arguing only disrupts the thread!

Also.... FYI...., an acronym is an arrangement of alpha characters (word abbreviations) that phonically sound out a word.
Examples: NASA, SCUBA, ASAP are all acronyms.
TA TI SA SI are not acronyms, they are initialisms.... aka abbreviations.

Talk about adding nothing to a thread. You are the King of Krap!
You waste more space here than anyone.

You had to respond with a mutli paragraph useless post...gotta get those numbers up!!

Again, go play somewhere else.
You are not wanted here.
Sa, SI, TA, TI, FU.

I tried pics. Can't get it . boat side of old cable has a 6" long as tube on cable that doesn't slide thru putter cable, you don't need to tell me 101, you can't expand on it cause you don't know. You have to cut cable next to 6"tube to get cable to slide out. And replace with new style. You can post a pic. so post me a pic. of old style cable.

MC1`s needed the cable core cut to size, then slide the guide tube on and then crimp the end.Alpha1`s DO NOT get the cable cut, The main control cables are not serviceable . The lower shift cable core is removable .
A shift cable kit does not come assembled , you assemble it .

I tried pics. Can't get it . boat side of old cable has a 6" long as tube on cable that doesn't slide thru putter cable, you don't need to tell me 101, you can't expand on it cause you don't know. You have to cut cable next to 6"tube to get cable to slide out. And replace with new style. You can post a pic. so post me a pic. of old style cable.

That's it, I can't explain because I don't know.

Not my responsibility to educate you.

Look I don't need you to educate me I asked a simple question .old cable has a 6" long ss tube over cable, ss tube slides in black plastic end, with 1/4 " of cable , extending out for 2 little square lock screws. I just asked how to get ss tube off cable , so cable can be pulled out.

New cable kit doesn't come with 6" stainless steel tube , that slides in black end at engine that has lock screws and attach to shift lever.

I'm not trying to make any conflict with anyone, thought I asked simple question.
Most of the ss tube are stuck. If there's a easy to get off inner cable?

what is the part number of the shift cable you purchased,if the newer type the tube core is not used with the new type cables and the old cable can be safely cut to remove it from the transom end

Back