Logo

Adding an autopilot questions

outobie

Regular Contributor
Hello

now that (knock on wood) my mechanical and maintenance tasks are up to date I’m turning my attention to the fun stuff

id like to add an autopilot system to my boat and would like some suggestions

boat is 27’ with twin 5.7 alpha 1 drives 8,000 lbs

stearing is cable driven with power assist. single power steering pump on starboard engine.

first question is that most autopilot systems seems to be made for hydrolic steering.

garmin makes a retrofit kit but sounds like it’s wonky.

is there a good system that works on my current steering system or is it recommended that I covert to hydraulic steering?

if so which one is good?

the reliable (been around for a while) autopilots use hydraulic steering....and given the safety concerns, I'd not recommend a hybrid....

as far as hydrulic systems, the Sea Stars are good value (though I think the name changed with the recent corporate takeover)....

I use the wife for that. She's already included in my yearly budget!

Jeff

Ayuh,.... Same here,... I haven't reeled in a fish since I met 'er,.... :rolleyes:

Back in the days I was single, I installed a Raymarine SportPilot Plus,...
It worked as advertised at anything over 'bout 5 mph,...
I loved it for runnin' to, 'n from the fishin' grounds,...
Under that speed, ei: Trollin' speeds, it couldn't keep up with the wind, 'n waves knockin' my ole tinbarge all over the pond,....

The only down-side is the added resistance in the steerin', it's fairly "Heavy" steerin', even with P/S,...
Yer always steerin' through the slip clutches in the unit,...

I ain't fired it up, since I met Deb, though it's still in the tinbarge,...
I'm finally scrappin' the pos out, 'n throwin' together another barge,...an Old Town Atlantis,....
Probably move the autopilot over too,....
Bein' 4' longer, with a really deep V, it might work for trollin',...

The unit in the link looks "Interestin'" to say the least,...
I donno that mine is still made or not, so that might be an option if, 'n when mine dies,...

Please tell me where in the Chesapeake do you feel comfortable running on autopilot? Or do you cruise in other waterways?

Strange that "Chesapeake" was mentioned above.

Some dope running on his autopilot in the Bay made a bathroom (head) break with the helm unattended. His yacht then ran over and killed two fishermen who couldn't get their motor started quick enough to get out of the way.

YOU wouldn't do THAT, of course.

Jeff

Please tell me where in the Chesapeake do you feel comfortable running on autopilot? Or do you cruise in other waterways?

the idea is to use it for trolling. we also plan to run to the shore next Summer.

Thought it'd be a good way to hold heading on long or slow runs. seems like a no brainer, like setting cruise control in the car.

Same as in a car, I never thought of abandoning the helm under weigh.

my father uses autopilot on his trawler all the time...it holds heading straighter than a person can steering it manually. we steer the boat via turning the knob on the autopilot

Ayuh,.... Same here,... I haven't reeled in a fish since I met 'er,.... :rolleyes:

Back in the days I was single, I installed a Raymarine SportPilot Plus,...
It worked as advertised at anything over 'bout 5 mph,...
I loved it for runnin' to, 'n from the fishin' grounds,...
Under that speed, ei: Trollin' speeds, it couldn't keep up with the wind, 'n waves knockin' my ole tinbarge all over the pond,....

The only down-side is the added resistance in the steerin', it's fairly "Heavy" steerin', even with P/S,...
Yer always steerin' through the slip clutches in the unit,...

I ain't fired it up, since I met Deb, though it's still in the tinbarge,...
I'm finally scrappin' the pos out, 'n throwin' together another barge,...an Old Town Atlantis,....
Probably move the autopilot over too,....
Bein' 4' longer, with a really deep V, it might work for trollin',...

The unit in the link looks "Interestin'" to say the least,...
I donno that mine is still made or not, so that might be an option if, 'n when mine dies,...

"Interesting" good or "interesting" bad?

was hoping to use at idle speed for trolling but your comments have me 2nd thinking it...what size was your boat mentioned above that wouldn't hold course at trolling speed? mine is 27' & 8,000 lbs

my father's trawler barely goes faster than that and it holds very true but also weighs about 5 times as much (50' Marine Trader)

do you think this model would also make the steering heavy while disengaged?

Whoever laid down that chine is an artist. Hope it's getting a B3 8.2

Ayuh,..... Leo Gilman,... Rumor has it Leo used to golf in Florida in the winter with C.Roy Hunt,....
I grew up in Old Town, 'n hung with a couple of Leo's nephews,.....

My hull was the Old Town Canoe corporate boat moored in Freeport from '73 when popped from the mold, til '90 when the guy I bought it from, bought it from Old Town Canoe,....

I might scrounge up a B3 for it someday, but for now I'm goin' B1, so I can run my Torque-shift prop,....
The 11" pitch at trollin' speeds get me really slow for walleyes,...

Gonna go with a jack-shaft drive to move the motor ahead 'bout 18", to be able to fish directly off the transom,....
Motorbox will be just 'bout Right for a seat forward, 'n baitin' station aft,...

The motor is only a rather healthy 350, that still idles nicely,....
Don't need a big block, 'n I'm nervous 'bout movin' the motor forward,....
Oughta ride like a dream with the 27* deadrise, insteada the Beatin' I take in my ole tinbarge,...

It had a OMC 351 Ford, electric Stringer drive,...

"Interesting" good or "interesting" bad?

was hoping to use at idle speed for trolling but your comments have me 2nd thinking it...what size was your boat mentioned above that wouldn't hold course at trolling speed? mine is 27' & 8,000 lbs

my father's trawler barely goes faster than that and it holds very true but also weighs about 5 times as much (50' Marine Trader)

do you think this model would also make the steering heavy while disengaged?

Ayuh,.... Interestin' Good,.... If I needed 1,.....

The link doesn't tell ya much 'bout the unit, 'bout how it engages, can't say how it's gonna feel at the wheel,...

My ole tinbarge is a '74 221 Starcraft Islander, with a huge tall semi-rigid cabin/ Bimini that I built,....
The flat bottom, 'n huge sail make it a handful to steer up wind,.... constant wheel motion,....
I don't blame the auto-helm, I blame the pos hull I'm finally junkin' out,....

ok thanks for the response.

I'm assembling my electronics build list and will likely do this project in the spring (working on coring issues around the windlass and chasing water intrusion into the cabin issues currently)

as I add up the prices it looks like I'll be spending more on electronics than I paid for the boat !

that's ok the family loves it, it fits our needs to a T and enhancing this one is still a bargain compared to the new boats we demoed at the boat show 3 weeks ago... plus I like doing projects on my own so when I'm done I know it's done properly and how everything works in case I have trouble later.

having too much fun :)

plan is to replace most of the dash...all gauges, all switches and the vintage monochrome Garmin unit.

current list of electronic bits:
- pair of Garmin 10" MFDs
- Garmin Autopilot
- Garmin fuel flow meters
- Octopus steering drive
- some Garmin transducer ?
- Analogue to NMEA 2000 converters for both engines (either alba or noland) to display engine data on MFDs
- replace all helm toggle switches. (old ones are badly corroded and need to be wiggled to work frequently)
- re-rig / restore primary wiring harness from batteries to helm replacing terminals, wiring, bus bars as needed.
- install NMEA 2000 network
- other add-on NMEA sensors as needed.

what am I overlooking/missing?

At trolling speeds you may run the risk of taking more out of the battery bank than you are putting in. I would do a complete survey of all your power needs to be sure that your alternator(s) are able to keep up. A regular old 65A alternator is only putting out a pitiful few amps at idle. If you're drawing 20-odd amps with all that stuff running then you risk killing the power. Look into a good isolator for the start bank and a voltage sensing relay. Balmar has lots of good info on their site which will get you started. They have combiners for dual alternators, voltage sensing relays, high output alternators, blah blah blah....oh and be sure all your wiring is in good nick with clean contacts and no stinkin wing nuts on the batteries!

Thanks
good thoughts on the alternator.
i definitely need to sure up my wiring and battery situation.
i bought some books and posted some questions a few months back on batteries and charging. The information and responses seemed to offer several options that I haven’t been comefortable deciding among.

Alternator and batteries work as a system when done correctly so I’ve deferred doing anything till I decide on everything

which i I am still not comefortable doing

as I add up the prices it looks like I'll be spending more on electronics than I paid for the boat !

Ayuh,.... That's easy enough,....

Just the fish finder/ Gps I'd like is more than I paid for any of my barges,....

Thanks
good thoughts on the alternator.
i definitely need to sure up my wiring and battery situation.
i bought some books and posted some questions a few months back on batteries and charging. The information and responses seemed to offer several options that I haven’t been comefortable deciding among.

Alternator and batteries work as a system when done correctly so I’ve deferred doing anything till I decide on everything

which i I am still not comefortable doing
PM me when you get closer to a decision. I am close enough we can meet and look at your situation.

Your PM mailbox is full��

ill be be working on coring issue this weekend at piney Narrows on Kent Island

how far is is that from you? Maybe we can connect then

For those of you unfamiliar with "C. Roy Hunt", he designed the deep vee type hulls that have taken over pleasure boating--and he was a sailboat designer!

Jeff

C Raymond Hunt....not Roy.....once you've been on one, the impressions are permanent....

Briefly owned a Bertram 25ft I/O cuddy... astonishing boat. Now own a Chris Craft Lancer which is Jim Wynn's design improvement on Hunt's original deep V. Jim, however, was savy enough to patent it fast enough. Jim, a 60's ocean racer, also is the patent holder for the original Volvo stern drive. Years later it was disclosed that thse I/O design was actually done by one of Merc's designer's who slid the design docs to his friend Jim when CarlKiekhaefer, Mercury's head was not interested in pursuing the design concept.

Back