Logo

Adapt engine to an inline drive

pietro

Contributing Member
I would like to replace my old engine in the inline drive with a sterndrive mercruiser engine coupling it with a velvet drive transmision: what do I need?

inboard flywheel , rear mount that accepts starter, transmission, construct rear motor mount stringers. Need pics and a lot more info

You can probably safely assume that you can bolt in a Chevy if that's what was in there before. Ditto if it was a Ford. It's the bellhousing that is of most interest as it has to make the connection between the engine and the transmission. You also will want to be sure that the cooling system is going to plumb in properly. The stern drive engine may not have a sea water pump attached, so you might need a pump and the bracket. I assume there's already a sea water strainer. If the boat is trailered and you aren't keeping it in the water for months on end you can probably get away with sea water cooling only. A closed cooling system is more complex and needs more maintenance.
You're probably thinking of a V8, so maybe you need to look at the exhaust situation if the old engine was a 4 or a 6.
As mentioned you need a "manual transmission" type flywheel and a drive plate that bolts to it. Again you may be able to reuse some of the parts from the old engine.

Back