Logo

98 merc 115 4cyl 2 stroke starts and dies squeeze prime bulb start and dies

newfish

This motor has sat for several years and this is my first boat. I drained the fuel tank replaced fuel and fuel filter after I prime it with the squeeze bulb it will start for a few seconds and die won't start again until I re pressure the bulb will not stay running the accelerator pump is leaking under pressure but that shouldn't stop the motor from running as far as I know I could be wrong. No fuel leaking from fuel pump I was going to replace the fuel pump but from different posts I've read they say fuel pump isn't necessarily the problem so hoping someone will have some advice on possible solution

Need to clean and rebuild carbs as sounds like it only running off the primer fuel charge
OK will do that but what do you think about the fuel pump I drained the carburetor bowls and they had mostly oil in them it doesn't seem to be getting fuel in the carbs

Over time the diaphragm in the pump gets stiff and doesn't suck as hard as it should. Get a new fuel filter and cut the existing one open and check what's inside. If black specks your fuel lines have degraded and if tan chips, some semicircles, you fuel line between the tank and the engine has degraded. Do this after you do the carbs and pump thing, before you try to run the engine.

On the oil in the carbs, since oil accompanies fuel into the carbs, the fuel evaporated and left residue and the oil is probably contaminated too, adding to your clogging problems. Ensure that 100 PSI air is part of your carb cleaning process. The high speed jet is in the bottom of the bowl and had I not blown everything out after the cleaning, I wouldn't have accidentally dislodged the black spec of degraded fuel line that intermittently clogged one of the cylinders on my 90 when I had it causing my intermittent power loss problem.

Over time the diaphragm in the pump gets stiff and doesn't suck as hard as it should. Get a new fuel filter and cut the existing one open and check what's inside. If black specks your fuel lines have degraded and if tan chips, some semicircles, you fuel line between the tank and the engine has degraded. Do this after you do the carbs and pump thing, before you try to run the engine.

On the oil in the carbs, since oil accompanies fuel into the carbs, the fuel evaporated and left residue and the oil is probably contaminated too, adding to your clogging problems. Ensure that 100 PSI air is part of your carb cleaning process. The high speed jet is in the bottom of the bowl and had I not blown everything out after the cleaning, I wouldn't have accidentally dislodged the black spec of degraded fuel line that intermittently clogged one of the cylinders on my 90 when I had it causing my intermittent power loss problem.
Texasmark thank you very much for the response couldn't ask for any more than that and I will do exactly what you recommend it makes perfect sense you answered every question swirling around my little head about what I found thanks again

Back