Logo

95 Johnson 40 rebuild or repower, stripped drive shaft splines

Kylbilly

Hello
I've recently stripped the splines on my outboard after running into stern line. I felt it happen but didn't know what it was until I trailered the boat after and saw the shredded line . 2 trips later came the bone chilling scream. poled back to landing and trailed home. pulled the lower and found the splines stripped on the drive shaft.

question, is it worth replacing the crank and shaft? under $700 for new parts. Im hoping only seal replacement, no bearings
compression is perfect ,sweet running till this, good foot no leaks.
I'm comfortable with the task as I've completely rebuilt an 25hp prior
Thanks ahead for any support
Boyd

Find a good used crank and a set of 50hp carbsnew
Thx for reply, looks like I need to do a complete tear down of foot to pull drive shaft and replace with new($300) used that I've found more expensive.
Good used foot looks like 8-900
Don't mind the crank replacement, used 150, new 300ish, but can get a power head , freshwater good comp for $500.
Hmmmmmnnnn

These lower units are not robust.----Pinion gear must be shimmed to the replacement driveshaft.----Cranshaft is easy to replace.----Used crank must be a 93 or newer.----Driveshaft must be a 93 or newer.

These lower units are not robust.----Pinion gear must be shimmed to the replacement driveshaft.----Cranshaft is easy to replace.----Used crank must be a 93 or newer.----Driveshaft must be a 93 or newer.
Thx for info, Im not sure why the prop hub was not the weak link as intended.

What are these chances that the splines on the drive shaft failed and the splines on the crank are ok? Drive shaft is stainless and the crank is hardened steel? Any thoughts? Thx

Well ----I just picked up a 2003 tiller model today.----Stripped splines on the driveshaft.-----Should know what in needs sometime next week.

Please let me know what you find, I'm in no hurry to rebuild. May repower with a 25/30 temporarily. I don't mind telling the block down to replace the crank, and the foot to replace the shaft. Thx

Back