Logo

92' mercruiser 7.4L 454 magnum I/O

deerislandbrew

New member
My question is: what typically wears first. Risers and elbow or exhaust manifolds? I have a closed fwc system. A bit of water is getting by and into the cylinders. Manifolds are sierras and 8 years old. Risers are 12 years old. I'm thinking to replace them all.
 
Try to find the stainless steel elbows. They show up on ebay every now and again. If you have closed cooling, you could try to go full instead of half and you'll likely never need manifolds again. Or riser/elbow if you have the stainless ones.
 
Fwc manifolds should be good. Usually risers (elbows) and extensions are rwc and thus if in salt water, 5 years beyond their typical safe life expectancy. Change all rwc exhaust components, gaskets and block-off plates.
 
I pulled the riser elbows and 3" spacers off so far. Waiting on help and parts to do the manifolds. I noticed right away that the shop who installed my rises did NOT use a blocking plate between the risers and manifold, nor the two gaskets that are normally used. Just one gasket was there to block off the raw water in the risers from the closed fwc manifolds. The gaskets may have leaked through. Although I haven't taken the manifolds off yet, there is a visible rust spot on top of one end of the starboard manifold. Could be issues there as well. A Barr marine kit is on the way to replace it all. The stock risers are stainless 18900c and look ok. So do the riser extensions. No obvious rust through the passages. I ran in salt water for 2 to 3 week vacations, but always put back in fresh water afterwards.
 
Back
Top