Logo

90 HP Mercury four stroke stalls at wide open throttle off idle

firefighter11

New member
Hey guys, first timer here. I had a good look around the forums but I couldn't find a similar issue and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. We got this boat a few years ago and it had some stalling issues and I ran some seafoam through multiple times and also made sure it had high test gasoline and also put isopropyl alcohol through the fuel tank. I replaced the fuel / water separator last year and its been running quite nice until I installed this tow bar to get the kids on the tube and maybe pull a skier. Pulling a tube I had no issues since its a gradual increase in speed but when I tried to pull a skier out of the water the motor stalls when I go from idle to Wide open throttle. I was upset by this so I went out the next day to try without a skier and again it dies going from idle to Wide open throttle. I made a video so hopefully someone can help me out.

2002 Mercury 90HP four stroke 90ELPT 4S (SER. 0T447468)

Stalling at WOT
 
I have the exact problem. Always with skier or board. One mechanic says it is an issue with these motors that on 2 cylinders are used on idle, but the all 4 kick in when you hit the throttle. Another told me that is an issue, but it can be resolved with a proper setup. Something about a vacuum gauge or something that monitors specific pressure needs to be connected and then there's an adjustment that can be done. Would be great if anyone knows more about this issue.
 
Back
Top