Logo

70hp johnson RPM limited to 3000 rpm.

AllenHamel

New member
Took our boat out today and the RPMs would not go above 3000. Ignition coils and plug wires checked out OK. all cylinder seem to be firing properly. Could this be a power pack issue?
 
Model # is ?----Time to do some inspection / trouble shooting.----Throwing parts at it gets expensive.----How did it run for you last season ?----What happened to this motor?
 
Johnson VE70TLESB

I put new coil packs, wires and power pack on last year fue yo starting issue and it ran fine after that.

Coil packs and wires tested fine. Can’t test the power pack because I don’t have the right meter.

When I had it out yesterday I went to throttle up and it started to accelerate then quickly dropped to 3000RPM.

I’m going to run a compression test and see what I got there.

Engine sounds and idols normally. Just no RPM’s above 3000.

Going to contact my mechanic when he opens today, but it’s usually a long wait to get in.
 
Test spark.----Could be as simple as a bad sparkplug.----Check for sheared flywheel key.----Water in fuel?----Sounds like it is running on 2 of 3 cylinders.
 
Cleaned up plugs. Checked spark and determined I have weak spark on #1 cylinder. Moved coil packs and plug wires and plugs around and still had weak spark on #1.

So looking at Stator or power pack.
Message into my mechanic. See how soon he can get to it.

Thanks for the tips. I’ll let you know what gets figured out.
 
Hi Allen I have the same motor same issues! Replaced the following… gas lines twice, cleaned carbs twice, new siphon valve, drained tank, new spark plugs, coil packs and wires, vro pump, water pump impeller. I took it out ran great 7 times this year and now same issue your having on 3000rpm then when in Burrell crawling to dock it died but starts right back up! Stator tested shitty my last
Hope! Ordered one today! Have you had any luck?!!
 
Back
Top