Logo

69 25hp Johnson rebuild problems! Have to start from square 1!!

I got it all put back together and went to start it... Backfired a few times and finally got it to start. Carb had fuel coming out the choke while trying to start it. Thought I may have primed it too much. Anyhow it was pumping a good amount of water. Then looked at the case where I split it and was leaking what looked like fuel!! Errr then I looked at the head and that was pissing pin size streams from around the new gasket!! I cleaned everything up good before putting the head and case back together! Used a thin layer of locktite 318 on the case before putting together. What's going on??

Used a thin layer of locktite 318 on the case before putting together. What's going on??
I guess you mean 518 and bet you didnt primer it....
Errr then I looked at the head and that was pissing pin size streams from around the new gasket!!
Is it a OEM gasket or aftermarket? If OEM you need to put a thin coat of gasket sealer on it, if aftermarket and its shiny it a silicon impregnated gasket and needs to get to temp and re-torqued..

If you read the tube it says to use klean and prime on the surfaces before applying, its cleans and activates the gelseal..

that 518 is garbage! redid it and same thing! $16 for a little tube of crap! and i followed directions. I got my $ back for it at least! Parts store said it shouldnt have done that! But it did! Twice! Got an easy 8 hrs in just ripping it apart and putting it back together. Got the good stuff now! $4. its sealed up nice and tight now!

If you can not get the crankcase to seal using 518 you have made or are making some serious mistakes.-----------The crankcase joint should almost be self sealing ( metal to metal ) and it just needs a wee bit of sealer to take care of minor imperfections.------------I do hope you fitted / located the bearings on the dowels.

Yes all 3 bearings dropped in the dowels. Went together great. Im feeling good about it now. Just 1 last major concer... The rod cap for the piston. I know that 1 is installed right 100% cuz I marked it. Now for the other cap, it went together good.i didnt notice any markings that would make it match up to the side of the rod. Will it not match up if its backwards?Ran it for about 2 mins. No odd noises. And everything seemed fine. Can they go end 4 end and be the same both ways?

No these caps only fit one way !!!----------Plus they must be carefully lined up.-----------It is not a simple case of torque it up and go.

Back