Logo

513031 Evinrude V6 Timing Wheel Encoder

SS502

Apparently the Evinrude/Johnson timing wheel encoder PN 0513031 or 513031 for the 1991 V6 engine has not been available for a while. Well, I needed one so I went ahead and made my own. This one should last a while longer than the flimsy plastic stock encoder since this one is made from 6061 billet aluminum. I wonder how many '91 engines have been junked because of Evinrude's killing of this critical part. If anyone out there needs one, PM me and we can make that old engine run again.

V6 Encoder.jpg

-Charlie

That motor is first generation and there is a lot of parts besides the encoder that are NLA. That why reman suppliers dont list a 1991 shortblock.

Well I actually don’t own the boat. It’s one of those friend of a friend deals. The owner hasn’t been able to run his boat for a number of years because of Evinrude’s unfortunate design flaw. This is what my friend needed now, so that’s what I made for him.

It seemed kind of silly to be forced to retrofit a crankshaft just because of some stupid design.

He also told me there may be others out there who need one too.

If he needs another obsolete part, and I can help him out, I will definitely do so. I enjoy the challenge of reverse engineering stuff like this.

Just trying to help.

Thanks for commenting.

-cr

Hey, you might be just the person I am looking for, I have been talking to people at the marina I was at to try and find out how to check my timing on my 1990 200 Johnson. No one could help me they keep telling me it is a big job. I see timing marks on the flywheel and when I put a timing light the marks are nowhere near the pointer. Someone told me first You have to measure the throttle Rod and some other stuff. Is this what I need to time the motor?

its not a big job at all. why are you adjusting it? high speed timing is set and forget. pickup timing is done according to synch n link procedure in the service manual. Just follow the steps, and be sure your cam roller has its clear outer sleeve. do not use a bad roller!

The timing on a 1990 model 200 does nor go out of adjustment.----Only if the flywheel key shears.----What is your motor doing / not doing ??

I bought the boat used and it appeared to me that the link from the linkage to the timing advance had been screwd with and it does not look correct to me so I just wanted to check it.

I suggest you post the results of a compression test.------Perhaps the timing was adjusted / tampered with to try and correct issues.

I suggest you post the results of a compression test.------Perhaps the timing was adjusted/tampered with to try and correct issues.
I had the power head just rebuilt and the rebuilder when finished said the engine had a problem with the fuel pump it had low pressure and the veto pump was converted to a pump only, they have a crazy price to restore it so I took it from him and ordered a factory VRO pump and realized it won't end there I had to get the choke solenoid also I see a vacuum switch I believe is low oil warning? I don't know which vacuum line to tap into. Also, the choke has 3 fuel lines one feed, and 2 smaller outlets. Where do the 2 outlets go to? And does it matter which goes where?
Why on earth did this owner do this? It took the engineers 20 years to design this system for the betterment of the engine and it took this person 20 minutes to destroy The system. Ugh, I will post pics When it's done maybe I won't have a timing issue also is the wire for the vacuum switch tan with what looks like red or purple is the only wire I find that was for some reason cut off.

right there is no line to tap into, other than the main pulse line in to the dual pump setup. rest is just fuel in and out. disconnect vro plug. test overheat horn on head. not much to it.

Apparently the Evinrude/Johnson timing wheel encoder PN 0513031 or 513031 for the 1991 V6 engine has not been available for a while. Well, I needed one so I went ahead and made my own. This one should last a while longer than the flimsy plastic stock encoder since this one is made from 6061 billet aluminum. I wonder how many '91 engines have been junked because of Evinrude's killing of this critical part. If anyone out there needs one, PM me and we can make that old engine run again.

View attachment 28418

-Charlie
Are you still making these? Just broke mine on a 150hp Evenrude.

Can someone verify what line the house goes to the pressure switch for low fuel pressure?/oil? I think it goes on the fuel line from the gas tank that has the fuel filter but, I want to make sure the original VRO. Was abandoned and I am returning it back to factory.

$99 shipped priority USA only . here is the ebay link to our listing:
Hi. So apparently. I did not get it because I missed the message. Let me know if you have another one of these encoders? Thanks

View attachment 28418

-Charlie
Charlie, do you have any more of these. I need one of these encoders.

$190 shipped for the billet. I can do a 3d printed one using carbon fiber nylon but it doesnt have the timing marks identified very well. Those are $100 shipped.

Back