Logo

35hp starter solenoid

Scolabird

Can't really tell, but that sort of looks like a car solenoid. If it is, get rid of it and buy the right kind. There is​ a difference.
I posted this in a previous running forum but it wouldn't allow me to post kept logging me out??? So here we are replacing a simple 35hp solenoid... cant figure where small white wire from the bottom left solenoid (small terminal) runs to??......... forgive me it's not the 1 i point at but the white 1 next to that

Ok every1!! I have a 35hp looks similar to all the replies but il post an additional pic. It appears to be factory starter solenoid on mine...
Twas replaced by a shade tree mechanic while he swapped my power head onto a different middlestack and lower(the seals and water pump gave out within the first year so here we are :)

I have a hot In from battery hot out to starter (2large lugs)
A red/yellow stripe also on a large lug.

A small white wire from small bottom left solenoid lug that is extremely short and the female round connector on it has a small hole opening that doesnt fit over the large lugs on solenoid (but the short length and wire memory appears it should go on left large solenoid lug) remember it did run fine until it didnt so I'm confused where this white wire goes? With my basic understanding of solenoids, I clamped it between the female connector on hot wire and the solenoid nuts so it was firmly held in place and it cranked right up??? In short how did the white small wire terminal fit onto the large power lug if the lug is bigger than the hollow in white connector??? Am I missing something?

I can not see your motor.-----The white wire might go o a neutral safety switch on the block.-----It might appear to have 2 terminals.----But only 1 wire goes to it.-----If the switch does not work it might need adjusting / cleaning.-----Yes they are easy to clean internally.

Thx for replies! Not sure why pics wont appear?
Regardless... if that white wire is terminated from the bottom small left screw on solenoid to the bigger left lug on solenoid (which is switched power to the starter)
The boat will crank and it doesnt keep cranking(which was my fear)

What's odd is I'd have to cut the o ring female connector on the white wire to fit it on the larger lug? Maybe the shade tree mechanic just clamped the o ring connector between the starter wire and the back of solenoid???) I dont feel lit correct the way I'm doing it but upon testing (bumping key with white wire connected at different grounds or nuetral switch I get nothing) when terminated at large solenoid lug she cranks with the key? The wire length/memory seems correct also but its darn weird that it connector doesnt fit???

Back