Logo

300HP G2 - Rapid Clicks - No start

fishtank

I have twin 300HP G2 (2019) engines. Common battery feeds both for starting (actually two batteries combined). Both motors have been trouble-free since new. Port engine fires up just fine - key on then push the port start switch and almost instantaneous start. Go the starboard - and it rapid clicks from the starter motor. I have replaced with new batteries. Replaced the starter as well, with exactly the same exact sound. I thought may the throw out rod, so swapped the starter out. Fuzes appear to be fine. It's a 95-mile trip with an over-sized load and a 6 week backup to the nearest authorized warranty service center. Hoping to find a faster solution. Obviously, the battery connections are clean with the installation of new batteries and port engine starting without issue. Took the battery cables off the starboard engine where they connect at the under top cover and cleaned up as well, with no difference. Scratching my head at this point. Any ideas?

Solved it. On back transom wall, above the bilges the battery cables from the front had a terminal block that met the power cables from the engine that I didn't know was there until I started tracing wires. One negative cable was being held on simply by the heat shrink wrapping. It appears that it was never soldered or crimped. So it finally corroded enough to lose electrical connectivity. $5 new terminal connector installed and all is good. The bonus is I have a starter sitting on the shelf should one ever go bad.

Back