Logo

2010 Honda bf225 trolling speed?

Artcha

Contributing Member
Hi,
I have twin bf225s (2010 and 2012, both n2k capable) and am hoping to start using the boat for fishing this year. I found a bunch of references to the ability to set trolling speed at 100rpm increments in some release docs from 2006 however I can’t find anything else.
Is there any ability to adjust the trolling speed on these engines?
Thanks much!

Not sure about the specifics, but I'm pretty sure you're talking about an optional control with that ability. It's done electronically.....

Is there a minimum rpm the 225s can run at? I think I’m at 650 right now.
600 RPM +/- 50 is spec for idle on the BF 225. I've done a lot of trolling on my 225, from 700-800 rpm (striped bass - rockfish) to 1600-2000 rpm for mahi and tuna in the Gulf Stream, all simply using a manual cabled throttle. Never any problems. Unless you have a dual-hull boat, most fishermen will troll with only one motor, making sure they switch over to balance out the hours on each.

I think I’ll want it lower if anything, seems like I’m doing a little over 2knots on one at idle which I believe is too fast for many salmon.

AH - Salmon fishing = very slow troll. Don't fool around with engine idle. Anything below 600 rpm is definitely not good for those engines. You need to take that boat out on the water and test the speed at idle on one engine. I suspect you may be able to achieve your 2 knots, especially if you are towing multiple down-planners.

Other possible ideas: 1. Install a kicker engine, 2. If you have trim tabs, put them all the way down. 3. Use a water brake (i.e. a large bucket, or similar water resister, towed behind the boat.)

Got it, I’m new to fishing. It’s a good point, I should test he speed with two downriggers down versus my quick test in the marina. No room for a kicker, pretty tight back there with the twins.
A speed brake is a good idea as well.

Yep, I've been around the horn a few times - been fishing for over 70 years - everything from creek banks where I grew up to deep sea off both coasts and Alaska, and about everything in between. Currently, I'm fishing a 25 ft C-Hawk with a single BF 225 in the lower Potomac and middle Chesapeake Bay.

Talk to other fishermen. Talk to owners of local tackle shops Read. Experiment. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Most fisherman I know are perfectly willing to share their knowledge (but not their fishing hot spots.)

Big thing I’m hearing is getting into the 1.5-1.8 knt range, setting up two Scotty 1206b downriggers and installed an autopilot with remote as I don’t have a back deck steering station and it’s a full cabin. It’s good to understand the outboard trolling options don’t allow for slower, I’m use to a big trawler with a ZF transmission that can get a trolling valve installed to slow versus speed up idle. Come to think of it I have the trolling button on the bfp60 I posted about and it just increases rpm.
I’ve been a boater most of my life so getting some good advice so far, will see how we do once the season opens.
No matter what we catch should be a fun new way to get more time on the water.

Back