Logo

2009 Honda BF25 - Propeller Shaft Holder Bolt Torque ft-lbs?

Hi,

Can someone confirm that the propeller shaft holder bolt torque ft-lbs is either 25.3 ft-lb or something else? I unfortunately can't seem to find it in the shop manual or general manual.

Additionally, is it normal for the prop shaft holder and assembly to slightly pop out once the bolts are removed? Everything on this new-to-me engine has been corroded so I was pleasantly surprised when it could be removed easily, but also suspicious.

Thank you in advance!
 
Hi,
The shop manual for my BF20D lists the propshaft holder bolts as being M6 × 1.0 and torque is listed as 9 lbs.ft.

Not the same outboard, yes.

But, if your bolts are indeed 6mm in diameter, then 24.3 lb.ft.is almost 3 times the torque needed.

24 lb.ft torque is probably more appropriate for a 10mm bolt.

Just my opinion.

Good luck.
 
Not sure I get the gist of your question.
If you have a shop manual, just look in the specifications section. It should be in there under "prop shaft holder bolts"

If not, I would just torgue to 9 lbs. ft.

It sounds right to me. If you want confirmation in a different way you could look up under the generic "nominal torque" heading for 6mm diameter bolts.

Most manuals have a list like that but, if yours doesn't, it's easily found online.

I just looked up a chart from Bolt Depot and they list a 8.8 class 6mm bolt as having a nominal torque of 12nm. That converts to lbs.ft. by dividing by 1.356 which comes out to just over 8.8 lbs.ft.

I would NOT use the torque listed for a 10.9 class bolt (16 nm or 11.8 lbs.ft) because the housing is aluminum.

Good luck.
 
Back
Top