Logo

2007 BF150A won't start

jupiterboat

Hi,

I am new to this forum and looking for trouble shooting guidance. I have twin Honda 2007 BF150A 4-stroke outboards. My starboard side will not start. All ignition lights come on and the engine cranks once and that's it. About a week ago the water flow through pee hole was clogged. I unclogged and flushed engine. That was the last time it started. I changed the plugs but that was no help. I was going to check the fuel filter and water separator next but they appear difficult to access unless I remove the intake manifold. I'm not a mechanic but can do basic maintenance. Does anyone have some suggestions on what to check? Both batteries are good. I also checked battery cables and they seem ok.

Thanks

When you say that it cranks once....do you mean that it actually tries to start (fire) once, then stops?

If so, first make sure that the safety landyard is connected.

Second, drain your vapor separator into a glass jar and check for water in the fuel.

You do not have to remove the intake manifold to change the filters that you listed. Your owner's manual shows how to get them out. If you do not have a manual, you can download one for free from Honda. http://cdn.powerequipment.honda.com/marine/pdf/manuals/00X31ZY66100KIT.pdf pages 78 and 79.

Page 84 shows how to drain the vapor separator.

If you are going to change the high pressure fuel filter, you will have to remove the port side panel. It is inside the vapor separator assembly.

There is a few places to begin troubleshooting.

Mike

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to remove the vapor separator to clean it. The manual instructions say remove the suspension strap from the water separator bracket, then remove the strap from the separator assembly. Do you push the strap down over the bowl? Instructions are not very clear.

Thanks

I sounds like you are looking at either the onboard fuel-water separator (the first assembly that the fuel line goes into) or the low pressure fuel filter (the second assembly that the fuel line goes into.) They each have bowels. The VST is a different assembly. On my 225 it's on the back of the engine, but not sure where it is on the BF 150.

Hi,
Thing to check in case the engine won’t start.
I don’t have a BF150 nor do I have the shop manual to advise but in general, and since you need AIR,FUEL,SPARK to get the engine running…
For example,
1)You could look into the Idle Air control valve;is it clean free of obstructions.(They have a fine mesh screen on both the in and out side).
2)is there adequate fuel present into the vapor separator?
3)Foes the high pressure pump run for 2 seconds when the switch is turned on ?(There will be a noticeable sound coming from the VST for 2 seconds;the purpose is to pressurize the fuel in the rail until the engine is cranked.
3) I guess, assuming the VST is full,the HP Pump is okay,and thei IAC is clear of dirt ,would be to check for spark.
Are the coils ok?
Basically look over the basic possible causes.
If for example the high pressure pump is faulty say, the engine will not start.

Hi,
Things to check in case the engine won’t start.
I don’t have a BF150 nor do I have the shop manual to advise but in general, and since you need AIR,FUEL,SPARK to get the engine running…
For example,
1)You could look into the Idle Air control valve;is it clean free of obstructions.(They have a fine mesh screen on both the in and out side).
2)Is there adequate fuel present into the vapor separator?
3)Does the high pressure pump run for 2 seconds when the switch is turned on ?(There will be a noticeable sound coming from the VST for 2 seconds;the purpose is to pressurize the fuel in the rail until the engine is cranked.
3) I guess, assuming the VST is full,the HP Pump is okay,and thei IAC is clear of dirt ,would be to check for spark.
Are the coils ok?
Basically look over the basic possible causes.
If for example the high pressure pump is faulty say, the engine will not start.
I don’t know if the lift pump is mechanical (there is an arm that contacts a cam lobe and a diaphragm etc) or if the lift pump is electrical.
Make sure the kill switch in on and try maybe using the primer bulb to fill the VST.

Last edited:
Back