Logo

2006 Honda 225

123gradyg

I have a 225 Honda outboard that the alarm doesn't not work. No beep when the keyswitch is turned on or no heat alarm. Check the main wiring harness and the ecm. All are working correctly. Any suggestions???

Does the engine start and run OK otherwise?
Do the lights on the key switch panel blink on briefly when you turn the key on?
Do you have the four-light key switch panel?
If "yes" to the first two questions above, then it is most likely the alarm itself is disconnected or has failed.

The engine runs fine and the panel lights operate as they should. It has four lights, two on the switch panel itself and two on another panel right above. Changed the alarm and still have the problem. All the checks I have done, the system works. I tested the heat sensor and the light blinks on the dash. I just changed the keyswitch itself. Do you think that it could be the keyswitch panel itself that it may not be completing the circuit from the lights to the alarm?

According to the wiring diagram in my Helm shop manual the two wires going to the buzzer are black with yellow stripe (Bl/Y) and yellow with a green strip (Y/G). The Y/G wire goes to a pin connector from the wiring harness. Find that pin connector if you can and check the connection. Also, find the Y/G wire that goes into the ECU and check that pin to see if it is corroded, loose, or broken. It looks like the B/Y wire goes straight to the key switch. If you can get to the key switch, check that out, also.

Addition: It appears that if you have the digital set up, the Bl/Y wire from the buzzer also has a pin connector from the wiring harness.

Yes, disconnect the wires to the alarm and hook them to a 12 V DC source and see if the buzzer sounds. If not, it's broke.

Hmmmmm. I seriously doubt it's the ECU, so I would suspect something afoul in the key switch. I'm at Hatteras for a couple of months and do not have my Helm shop manual with me, so hopefully some else will jump in on this one.

Try doing a search on the wiring in the key switch.

One long shot thing you might try is disconnect the batteries and spray WD-40 into the key hole and exercise the switch a bunch of times. That will typically loosen up and stuck contacts.

Back